1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Upgrade from 61" to 72"?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Stonewall, Apr 26, 2001.

1. Stonewall

Stonewall LawnSite Senior Member

I'm curious to hear from anybody, especially solo operators like myself, who has upgraded from a 61" to 72" rider as the primary mower. There are only a handful around here, but one guy I talked to said it made a big difference.
  2. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 60" and can't imagine a 72 would help very much. First it doesn't fit in quite as many spaces. 2nd It will scalp just a little more. 3rd Its just another mower I've got to buy, pay taxes on, maintain, buy all new supplies for, etc.
  3. I am going to stick with my 62". I have to. The trailer I have is 5'6" wide ID. The 5'6" trailer is a lot better in town and down narrow lanes. It's only a little bit wider than my p/u truck.
  4. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd have to agree .....my 60" has bout 8" to spare on the inside width of my biggest trailer ....the 72" should slay it on fat open flat errrain ...but if ya have a 61" that's should be kicking pretty good
  5. bam

bam LawnSite Senior Member
    from .

The time gained with a 72 is in open areas. In tight quarters or for a solo operation I would think a 60 or 61 would be best.

Our 72's have a tendency to scalp, are harder to manuever, heavier, and alot larger.

In the end we usually find our 61's to be just as quick and even more manueverable.
  6. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I have been running 60" ZTR's since 1996 and just bought a new diesel 72" this year. The 72" is fantastic compared to my 60" machines. While only a foot wider, it is much more productive in large open areas. I use my 60" to mow around trees and other tight spots on a property, then hop on the 72" and mow the rest of the property. My 72" scalps LESS than my 60" due I believe to the wide wheelbase. The Grasshopper, Exmark, and D.C. 72" machines will all fit on a standard 6.5' wide trailer. Yes, it is tight, but its easy after a little practice. I feel the 72" has saved me from having to hire another man. Demo one for a couple of hours. you will never go back to a 60"!
  7. Hardy Enterprises

Hardy Enterprises LawnSite Member

I have a 72" Lazer Z and I wouldn't even consider a 60" or smaller unless all I did was really small properties. It is great in large open areas and it does just as good as 60" on smaller areas. I have always heard people say that a 72" scalps bad, but I have not found that to be a problem if set the anti scalp roller to the proper height.

8. Stonewall

Stonewall LawnSite Senior Member

I guess I'll have to demo one sometime. Does anybody have a 72" Turf Tiger? Not the Sabre Tooth. I don't do many monster size jobs, but I'm beginning to think that an extra 11" a pass is an extra 11". Regardless of how big or wide open the area. It could add up to an extra job or two a day, which would be good for a solo op.

Have you thought about using a 72" on your big jobs?
  9. yorkpaddy

yorkpaddy LawnSite Member

what size jobs do you use your 60's on. I'm still a small guy with a 36 inch. i have one job that is 4 acres, and i tough it out with my 36. Whats the break even point, that you want a bigger mower for. I could see using them on 1 acre lawns
  10. Vandora Lawn & Landscape

Vandora Lawn & Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

That 4 acre's must take like 3-4 hours to cut. That would be a good choice for 60 or 72.