1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Upgrade From A Tiger Cub?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BASIC, Mar 8, 2007.

1. BASIC

BASIC LawnSite Member

Hi,I have a SCAG Tiger Cub,48",19 HP KAWI,with a bagger its about 4 yrs old and has close to 500 hrs on it,it's well maintained,I cut grass part time thats why the low hours.I'm getting bigger accounts and I'd like to know what would be the next step in size of mower.I'd like to stick with SCAG.Does anyone have an idea what my mower should go for in a trade in,and what it would be if I sold it my self?Thanks for any help.
  2. AAXteriors

AAXteriors LawnSite Member

Hey where abouts are you you in jersey? how did the tiger cub work for you? I was actually looking into them and wanted a little feedback from someone in the area.

3. BASIC

BASIC LawnSite Member

Josh,northern NJ also.It worked out very well.I started about 4 years ago never having mowed a lawn in my life but the Tiger Cub has been great.Only problem is the bagger hose has deteriorated over time.I bag all my lawns.Mow 1-2 acre properties.Look and see if SCAG has an intrductory price on the Tiger Cub,they did when I bought mine,$5999.99,not including the bagger system,$1500 for that.Any questions please ask.
  4. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I sold a Tiger Cub with the 19/ 48 with 600hrs without a bagger for $3800. I sold it and bought a Scag Turf Tiger with a 52/ 27 Kohler and still have a Cub 48/ 19. We like the Turf Tiger alot it holds hills better than the Cubs.
  5. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

Wildcat is your next step up. I don't think you need a tank of a mower like a turf tiger quite yet. Go look around scag's website and develope your own opinion. I know the new Velocity deck has good reviews.

6. AAXteriors

AAXteriors LawnSite Member

What dealer did you go to? That $$$$ seems pretty good to me compared to what ive been looking at. (exmark, ferris, hustler) all $6500 - $7000
  7. BASIC

BASIC LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help.
    Josh,I bought it at Bassani Power Equipment in Wantage NJ but the price would have been good at any SCAG dealer,it was a promotion being done by SCAG,I don't know if they have a similar deal going now.Any idea what a Turf Tiger and a Wildcat would be priced at?I know the engine choice would be different but a ballpark price would help,thanks.