Upgrade Kawi Engine from 23hp to the 25hp

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by gps_jetskier, Dec 21, 2007.

1. gps_jetskier

gps_jetskier LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone know what parts it takes (persumably carb parts) to convert a Kawi 23hp (FH680V) to a 25hp (FH721V). They're the same engine, but there's a couple changes to it to get the extra hp. I'd like to buy the parts for my Hustler Z and I can't find a deal that knows. Most don't even write me back. It just can't be that hard. I can't even get a number for Kawi.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

From what I have read it is simply a carburetor change.
    But... I am not a Kawasaki expert either....

3. gps_jetskier

gps_jetskier LawnSite Senior Member

Actually, I got a reply from Southland Engine Co., Inc.

They seem to think it's a different cam as well as a carb asmbly (internally vented carburetor). Changing the cam would be alot of work I'd think, but changing the carb wouldn't be the end of the world.

4. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Go to Kawasaki's website and enter the parts lookup section. Compare the parts on a 23 to the parts on a 25.

They have both had external and internal vent carbs over the years so that isnt the difference. I think the Carb is the only main difference. Different size venturis and jets. Its probably a $250-300 part that you wont notice the difference. I would save it and upgrade on your next mower.

5. OSDOTF

OSDOTF LawnSite Member

The 25 also has an oil cooler between the block and the oil filter so it's obvious Kawasaki doesn't see this hop-up as "just a different carb." I think you'd be making some dangerous assumptions if you were to tweak your 23; take the earlier advice and save your money for your next mower.