Upgrade options

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by DanaMac, Mar 22, 2003.

1. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I'm trying to put a list together of upgrade options to offer to my clients. Whether it be for maintenance or installs. Below is a list of some I can think of now, but would like your feedback as well.

Rotor heads - from Hunter PGP to the I-20 or RB 5004 to the 5004+
    Spray heads - regular Hunter ProSpray or RB 1800(4,6,12") to heads with check valve or PRS system
    Rain Sensor - either mini-clik or higher upgrade to a wireless one which both RB and Hunter have
    Remote for timer
    RP instead of PVB - if an RP is needed we install it, but they could upgrade from PVB to RP in they want
    Flow control valves
    Outdoor on/off winterizer valve - this makes it easier if the on/off handle is currently in a crawl space
    6" heads instead of 4"
    Colored valve box lids - I believe these are the same price as the original green but could be used as an upgrade
    Extended warranty on installs - they pay a certain percentage based on cost of system, could be and additional 1-3 years which would include winterizing

What else?

2. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 LawnSite Senior Member

Extended warranty on installs - they pay a certain percentage based on cost of system, could be and additional 1-3 years which would include winterizing

best buy does this and so does greenworld. this is the biggest profit center that i have discovered in the past 2 years.

people love to hear you will guarantee your product for more than one year. i guarantee you competition does not do this.

go for it.

really when you think about it, what could happen to a system in 4-5 years? not much. most problems occur in year 7-9 (my experience)

sell an extended warranty...like 5 year guarantee for an additional $400.

hell, sell a lifetime warranty with the system for $300/year. you will replace nothing for the first 3 years, a few heads and maybe a valve between years 4-8 and then alot of stuff in year 8 +

but by then you got $300 x 8 years = $2400. the price of a new system.

the guarantee only works if client renews it every season. no other contractor can service the system for either warranty or warranty is void.

put it in writing and sell it.

people will pay. they buy extended warranties on cars, appliances, tv, why not irrigation systems?

they do from me.

call me. i will sell them for you (for a fee, of course...lol)

brian

3. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

Rotor heads - from Hunter PGP to the I-20 or RB 5004 to the 5004+

We only use I20 standard

Spray heads - regular Hunter ProSpray or RB 1800(4,6,12") to heads with check valve or PRS system

We only use HUnter I series standard

Rain Sensor - either mini-clik or higher upgrade to a wireless one which both RB and Hunter have

We already use them standard

Remote for timer

We alwasy install the Hunter port, offer control at extra cost if they want it

RP instead of PVB - if an RP is needed we install it, but they could upgrade from PVB to RP in they want

This one serves no purpose as they are no safer

Flow control valves

Possible but why?

Outdoor on/off winterizer valve - this makes it easier if the on/off handle is currently in a crawl space

Yeh baby!

6" heads instead of 4"

On sprays or rotors?

Colored valve box lids - I believe these are the same price as the original green but could be used as an upgrade

Tacky!

We've done 2 yr standard for years. Idea worth thinking about!

4. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Harold - I figured the lid cover statement would pinch a nerve with someone. :D I'm just trying to throw out ideas and get some in return.