upgrade to bigger tires?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by kc2006, May 4, 2005.

1. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

My bobcat needs some new tires and I was thinking of stepping up to bigger tires for traction. When using the proslide it'll spin sometimes and i thought going from a 13x6.5 to a 16x6.5 or a 18x8.5. I thought I heard of people doing this. Then you just have to lower the rear pitch of the deck to make up for the added height correct? Well and i'd have to buy 8" rims instead of 6". So what needs to be done or isn't it a good idea to do this? Thanks

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Do you have enough deck clearance forward of the tire tread?

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Bigger tires really won't give you that much more traction.

Wider may give you more flotation.

The next size up for you is 15x6.00-6 which is 1" bigger in diameter.

Changing wheel sizes would be tough. Not many mowers use bigger wheels on their belt drive mowers (bearings in wheels), rather they use lugs to hold them on.

4. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

"Changing wheel sizes would be tough. Not many mowers use bigger wheels on their belt drive mowers (bearings in wheels), rather they use lugs to hold them on."

True. I'll just pick up the same size tires maybe they'll have better traction since these ones are pretty low. If not guess I'll have to get a ztr sometime this year :D

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

If you have about 3/4" clearance all around your tires, go with the 15x6.00-6's

Go with Carlisle Multi-Trac CS.....pleanty of traction.