Upgrading 1/2 ton suspension??

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by PlatinumLandCon, Jan 30, 2008.

1. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi Guys,
    My chevy's suspension is quite worn out and in need of replacement. With only 1000lbs in the bed the suspension sags pretty badly. What I wanted to know is can I upgrade the leaf springs to the 3/4 ton ones?? Will they bolt on?

My truck has all the same drivetrain the 3/4 ton would have (6.2 diesel, 700R4 trans newly rebuilt) so thats not what I'm concerned about. I'll also need to replace the shocks all around.

Thanks.

2. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn LawnSite Member

I think the leafs are wider on 3/4 and 1 tons :confused: could be wrong but that would be a first :dizzy:

I had a 1/2 ton that I just added a leaf to it and it was fine. Helped out a ton.

3. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

You can add a leaf or two to the current spring pack or add airbags. Even timbrens would be an option to stop sag. Years ago I added one leaf in the rear of a dodge 1500 and it lifted the back about three inches and would hold 2000# in the bed without showing it. Cost about $100 (I did the work myself)

4. blind04

blind04 LawnSite Member

i have a chevy half ton and i just added load stabilizing leaves to it. made all the difference in the wold. works great rides great, no sag under load.

5. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

You can beef up the springs,suspension,etc. Keep in mind its still a half ton rear end?

6. PlatinumLandCon

How would I go about adding a leaf? I'm going to change the shocks ASAP since they're the factory ones still (18 years, 150k+ miles).

7. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

8. zMaster225

zMaster225 LawnSite Member

Since when has a Maserati been a muscle car?? Ha

9. DOLMARatOS

DOLMARatOS LawnSite Member

First I would highly recomend replacing your current weak springs. Lots of places to buy standard and HD rear springs for every vehicle imaginable.

If you are looking to upgrade your springs, I would recomend the Roadmaster suspension system. I have installed dozens for these and they are the best single item I have found for improving your rear suspension performance.

Acts as helper springs, traction bars, sway bars and overload springs. Never overload your rear axle weight rating but the Roadmaster lets you "take it to the limit" without fear of dangerous handling and bottoming out.

10. PlatinumLandCon

LOL thats my uncle's car:drinkup: