Upgrading Air Filter On Old Scag

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by steve45, Mar 17, 2006.

1. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

It is VERY dusty where I live. We've had about one inch of rain since August. I've been wanting to upgrade the air filter on my 2000 Scag Tiger Cub since I bought it last fall.

I was lucky enough to find the filter unit on Ebay for a reasonable price, but I learned that the carburetor air horn is quite different on the old engines vs the new ones. There is no adaptor for the old ones, so I made my own.

I'm not a machinist, so I used what was available: a 3" x 3" x 7" block of aluminum billet, a drill press, a compound vise, and a couple of end mills. After I got the basic shape down, I was concerned about the weight. I didn't want a 5 pound weight hanging off of the carburetor. I finally whittled it down to about 1/2 pound. Since I always use a grass catcher, I made a bracket for the filter unit and mounted it securely there. I used a 2" radiator hose to connect the adaptor to the filter. I added a filter minder, too.

Photos are attached. I still need to get some larger hose clamps, but these work fine.

Scag Air Filter Adaptor 9, Small.jpg

Scag Air Filter Adaptor 11, Small.jpg

Scag Air Filter Adaptor 12, Small.jpg

Scag Air Filter Adaptor 13, Small.jpg

2. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

So you are using one filter,there is no factory filter.

3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

That looks pretty darn good there steve!

Off topic- I think it'd be a pretty good setup to have a dual filter. Have that donaldson on top then close off the intake ports of the stock location and have the stock filter as a secondary. I imagine it would take some kinda work though.

4. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm just running the large canister with the dual element filter setup. I don't know if putting the factory filter in series would accomplish much more. Might be too restrictive.