Upgrading Equipment, Need Opinions

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Total.Lawn.Care, Aug 11, 2006.

1. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

I am a relative Newbie in the business as well and I just purchased a New JD727 Z-Turn with 54" Deck. Now I need to upgrade my Trimmers and Blower. I find that I am spending to much time trying to blow off the driveways with a Residential Homelite Handheld Blower.

I am looking at the differences in quality and price of three different brands and I cannot decide which brand to go with. The runners up are Stihl, Echo and John Deere.

I know Stihl is a really good product because I see alot of crews using them. But they have propriatary parts that only work on Stihl (from what I understand). And I do not have a financing option with them at the moment.

Echo (Commercial Grade) is available at Home Depot and right now I can get 10% and possibly 20% off my purchase until the 16th and get no payments on my Home Depot Charge until Feb 2007.

John Deere is readily available and I have the financing option with them. But I understand that they are very proprietary on parts as well and that the quality of their 2-cycle products is not very good.

Can anyone give me better recommendations or opinions on the Echo and John Deere Products?

Thanks

2. kemmer

kemmer LawnSite Senior Member

redmax 8000 is the blower for you, best blower on the market right now

3. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

i second that!!!!!!!!!!! that thing is a beast!:weightlifter: :weightlifter:

4. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

Every body round here uses Echo blowers, for blowers they are a very hard product to beat.:)

P.S sounds like red max may be an option if you can get them in your area ???

5. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

Echo is the way to goooooo.....

6. mikes landscaping

mikes landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from kansas

go with the red max ebz8000 or 7000 they are the best blowers and wil run forever.

7. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Most commercial grade products will have propritary parts because the machines are actually made by the company whos name is on the product.

Brands like Craftsman,Ryobi,etc are not made by those companies. Your Poulans,PoulanPros, Weedeaters, Craftsmans, will usually have interchangeable parts because they are all made by one company just with different names on the tags.

Stihl makes Stihl, Shindaiwa makes Shindaiwa, Redmax makes Redmax.. they aren't just a label sticker.

8. SidelinePropMgr

SidelinePropMgr LawnSite Member

I use Echo exclusively however, do not buy them from Home Depot. They will be a quality product however, if you ever need service it MAY be a nightmare. By ECHO from a lawn care dealer that has an inhouse service shop. cannot place a price on getting yur equipment repaired while you wait, in some instances.

9. Jaeger

Jaeger LawnSite Member

RedMax or Stihl. Models EBZ8000, BR600 respectively.
    Very commercial quality. Very powerful.

Check out a Solo 471 KAT. For about $375.00 it is hard to beat and sounds like a BMW.

10. kemmer

kemmer LawnSite Senior Member

redmax is only like 500