upgrading for start of business

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bigeasy3223, Aug 16, 2006.

1. bigeasy3223

bigeasy3223 LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

I'm a 16 yr old who has been mowing on ztrs for years and have been doing just the "neighborhood kid" business for a while. I have a what i believe is an awful mower, Toro Timecutter ZX. This mower makes me double cut everything even with sharp blades. This upcoming spring i am purchasing a trailer and finally starting somewhat of a real business. I can trade my timecutter in at the dealer for 3,000 since it is in fairly good condition. I will probably have around $3,500 to $4,000 to spend on a decent commercial mower. I am hoping i can find a good deal buying used. Could you guys help me out with what you think is a good mower for my situation. It has to be a ztr rider with at least a 52" deck. O and by the way i live in davenort, IA and if any of you guys are selling that would great. I would appreciate any suggestions.
  2. imdawrlus

imdawrlus LawnSite Member

i would get a walk behind......

cheaper that a ztr and more versatle(sp?)
  3. bigeasy3223

from Iowa

ya that i would like one but my yard is 3-4 acres and i really dont want to use a walk behind for that is there any mower or brand you would suggest all coments would be very helpful thanks
  4. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a 48" WB that I use to mow 10.5 acres for one customer. The key to it all is GET A VELKE! Whole process takes about 6 hours of just mowing, another hour of trimming. First time doing the whole thing my calves were killing me. After that I got used to it.
  5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

This is quite the tall order.
    First you will be VERY hard pressed to get $3000 for a timecutter on a trade and second trying to buy "at least a 52" decked ZTR for the same kind of money isn't going to happen unless you buy someone elses very used headaches, although there are some good deals to be found from time to time.

Good luck with it.
  6. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Say What? You cut 10.5 acres with a 48" WB (even with a Velke) in 6 hours?
  7. bigeasy3223

from Iowa

well is looking into a used exmark from a lawn company that I know is taken care of well worth it? even though it is used every day it is still an exmark and i have seen some 1,000 hr exmarks cleaned up very well. what do you guys have to say?
  8. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

You betcha!

There's several sections: 5 acres wide open, not even any trees, 1 acre around the house, lotsa trees, 3 acres LOTSA trees and 1.5 acres LOTSA trees. The 5 acres I can do in about 2:45, the 1 acre takes about 1:30, and the wooded areas take about 2:45. Actual cutting time is probably 6:30, about half an hour of trimming.

It's a sweet deal. The wooded areas are biweekly, everything else is weekly. For the weekly (4 hr, 15 min) I get $240. For the biweekly (2 hr, 45 min) I get $220.

I'm going full bore the whole time. It's quite a workout dodging trees in 5th gear.:weightlifter:
  9. bigeasy3223

from Iowa

is there a blade that would help alot with the cut?? or is it time for an upgrade for the timecutter
  10. TheLawnBarber

TheLawnBarber LawnSite Senior Member

For your price range a new commercial walkbehind with jungle wheels seems to be the best bet fo now.