1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Upgrading Spray Equipment

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by GravelyGuy, Jan 18, 2008.

1. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

I really need to upgrade my spray equipment before this coming spring if possible. I have a Shindaiwa spreader, Echo gas 5 gal. BP sprayer, and a pull behind unit from tractor supply. This stuff will get the job done, but is really not ideal for bigger yards.

I have considered the ride on units, but they are a little more than I can spend right now so I am looking at skid sprayers.

How much area can I cover with a skid sprayer? I guess my question is, how long of a hose can you use? What do you do if it won't reach all they way around the back?

I really don't know of any other options. Thanks for the help.:)
  2. GravelyGuy

from Indiana

3. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

are you going to put it in a p/u truck?
    check out the lesco spacesaver
  4. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

You know Ryan, I can't say enough good things about Gregson-Clarke skid sprayers (sorry Bill :laugh:). One of the many benefits I think it has over a Lesco Space Saver, is the fact that it comes with a larger capacity hose reel than Space Savers come with. I bought a V-200 model skid from Rhett. I had him load it with 400' of 3/8" hose, but if I remember correctly, the reels that come on V-200's can hold 600' of 3/8" spray hose if you want to have that much length on the reel.
    There would be very few properties you couldn't service with that much hose on the truck. I'd recommend that you give Rhett at Gregson-Clarke a call. Their a sponsor of this forum and his link is at the top of the page.
  5. GravelyGuy

from Indiana

6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

A 200 gallon carries 1660 pounds of water when full--you need a heavy duty pickup.

Did you mean you had a "pull behind unit" on little wheels? On trailer? Electric or gas?
    If it is gas, just put it on your truck. All you really need is a bigger tank and a reel plus hose. You may already have a "Nurse tank" for the pull behind.

A pull behind unit is suitable for those big lawns, and since you can spray at 4 mph it will be faster than walking with a hose. You need the skid sprayer with a hose for those small and medium size lawns and with lots of flower beds etc, that do not fit the pull behind unit--yet are too big for the back pack. Perhaps you can put a short hose on the pull behind so that you can stop and cover areas that are confined or close to flowers and shrubs.
    I assume you are spraying at low volume and low pressure and that you are not planning to mix fertilizer with your herbicide.
  7. GravelyGuy

from Indiana

8. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

You took the words right out of my mouth:laugh:

Seriously, that does sound like a very nice set up. The dealer around my parts didn't even phone me back with a quote or email me. *make note to self, always return customers phone calls because when you don't you look like an idiot*

I'm going to start with back packs though, if I get a hundred customers then I'll look at these skids. All this talk about drastic increases in fert cost and the fact that it might be scarce, is making me double think my plans. I don't think I'll be so eager to phase out other services.

btw, Clark(e) has no e:)

oh, did you have your skid shipped to you? I can't find any shipping info on their site (I live in Winnipeg) if Better can do it.. plus I had a 36" toro shipped up here last year
  9. GravelyGuy

from Indiana

Thanks for the help guys. I had to make a decision quick as the auction was about to end. From the prices I've gathered, this seemed like a deal to me. It has a Honda engine and a comet pump just like my pressure washer which I love. The frame looks to be upgraded in comparison to the older North Star units. The thing weighs 550 pounds. I spoke with the seller this morning and he sent me an actual pic. He said it is refurbed, but from the pic it looks really good.

I go to pick it up this coming Friday. It's an 8 hour drive, still better than $612 shipped:dizzy: I'll post up the pic he sent me for you to see. This should work out well for me. I've never used one before.:laugh:
  10. GravelyGuy

from Indiana

Here's a pic.