1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Upgrading to larger engine???

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by gogetter, Sep 14, 2004.

1. gogetter

gogetter Banned

This question if really more out of curiosity then anything.

I have a 52" Snapper hydro walk behind mower. It has a 16hp B&S Vanguard on it. Recoil start.

Lets say I wanted to upgrade to a 20hp B&S Vanguard. First off all, I assume this is possible?
    Secondly, I see that they offer it with recoil or electric start.

Could I go with the electric start model, and if so, what else is involved in making that work? Just add a battery? And I guess some sort of ignition button?

(please excuse any lack of correct mechanical terminology, I just run the mowers, I don't really work on them).

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

If you do go electric, I would just get the wiring harness from the manufacturer for an electric start machine. The electric model will have a charging system and also a voltage regulator somewhere in the line. Unless you absolutey need electric I would keep it simple and just replace with a recoil start. Get electric on the next mower when it is time if you have to have it.