Lawn Care Forum banner

Upgrading

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  TK LC&L 
#1 ·
As of right now I have a 46" riding mower with two 21" push mowers. Right now I am at the point where my riding mower just isn't cutting it anymore and I want to save time. I only have about 3 properties that have gates to small for me to fit through and about 20 that I can mow the entire yard with the big mower. I would really like to get a stander as my next upgrade and would probably get a 52" deck since some on my properties are a decent size. I want a brand that puts nice lines in as well. Any suggestions on brands, styles, or motor size to get? Also a buddy of mine is selling a 48" walk behind, it is in ok shape and he is selling it for $750 which I know is a great deal, but it only has a 13hp motor. Is it still worth it for only $750?

#2 ·
To preface this, I am going to say this is my opinion and my thoughts alone, anyone is free to disagree.

I really like my 61 inch fixed deck Wright Stander. Wright originated the stander and has been making them longer than anyone else. Wright exclusively uses Kawasaki engines, which in my opinion are the best commercial lawn mower engines. I prefer the fixed deck stander because less moving parts, means less things will wear and, in turn, break. I am a big advocate of reducing down time. Wright Standers (and most standers) have less safety switches than a comparable sit down zero turn which means they will inevitably have less wiring head aches. My Wright also stripes great with no striping kit necessary (Kentucky blue grass, ryegrass, fescue.)

So if I were you, I would buy a fixed deck 52 inch stander with the highest hp engine available.

As for whether the walk behind is a good deal at $750, it all depends on condition, model, and your personal necessities. A stander will out perform a walk behind 2 fold. Even if that walk behind has a sulky on it.

Again my opinion, if you don't like it.... too bad.

#3 ·
Thank you for your input. For the walk-behind, he is bringing it over this weekend to let me try it out. So I guess I will see if it is worth it. I think it would be nice to have in case my other mower would break down and I got into a jam it is better than a push mower. It also would be could to have my other guy use when he finishes trimming to prevent down time for him.

I came across a Wright Stander with a 52" deck. It looks to have a little wear and tear and under 400 hours on it. He wants $2500 for it which seems great compared to other people selling, but is it too great? Also it has a 18hp v twin briggs and stratton, I think that will do ok on smaller hills right? I'm not going to be cutting high fields down with it, just weekly and bi-weekly residential properties, so it won't be extremely high.

#4 ·
Thank you for your input. For the walk-behind, he is bringing it over this weekend to let me try it out. So I guess I will see if it is worth it. I think it would be nice to have in case my other mower would break down and I got into a jam it is better than a push mower. It also would be could to have my other guy use when he finishes trimming to prevent down time for him.

I came across a Wright Stander with a 52" deck. It looks to have a little wear and tear and under 400 hours on it. He wants $2500 for it which seems great compared to other people selling, but is it too great? Also it has a 18hp v twin briggs and stratton, I think that will do ok on smaller hills right? I'm not going to be cutting high fields down with it, just weekly and bi-weekly residential properties, so it won't be extremely high.
I am pretty much positive that Wright has never installed a briggs and stratton engine on any of of their mowers. So unless the seller mentioned that it is a new engine I would definitely be concerned about the actual amount of hours. Otherwise $2500 for a 52 inch stander with 400 hours would be an amazing deal.

It's always good to have back up's just in case something happens, if you like the walk behind and can afford it, along with a stander, go for it. If it comes down to stander or walk behind, I think the decision is obvious.

#5 ·
Ended up getting that Wright Stander. Whole thing looks great. All of the moving components seem to be good as well. Just doing normal maintenance on it since I don't know when the fluids and filters were last changed. Drove it up and down the road a few times since the grass here in Pa has been wet all winter. Thanks for your input.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.