1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Uplifting the Industry

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Team-Green L&L, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a meeting with a fellow LCO yesterday that changed my perspective. I am committed to marketing the industry, and he was committed to it's dignity! What a compliment in differences!

Gateway, you have opened my eyes to a new world of LCOs far beyond the scope that I knew, prior to our encounter. New uniform (clean), vast amount of credentials, and a wonderful personality. These are the LCOs that will form our market in the next 10 years.

I know this post is one big compliment, but some guys deserve it!
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I wish that were true, but for every 10 decent LCO's out there, you are always going to have 100 temporary fly-by-nighters wearing beer t-shirts, tanktops with no armpits, or whatever is available that day. I been in this industry for 24 years, and I've seen alot of 'em come and go......
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I also feel that clothes and equipment in and of itself does not mark the difference between the made man and the fly by nighter. Because I've seen as many fancy outfits with spiffy uniforms come and go, while I myself wear A-shirts (tank tops without armpits lol) and a lot of times I go topless, some of my jeans have small holes and my truck is 20 years old... To me, cost is of the essence, if the cost of my outfit is too high, I can not and will not survive.

Does this make me someone you can't trust, someone you don't want working in your yard?
    To me it's all about what you believe in, and so what floats your boat that is the path you follow. While some can argue about the look of things, I will argue that I see more equipment getting stolen from the fancy outfits than from those who look poor and destitute. In the end, to me it's more about getting things done at less cost and less loss, the price remains similar and while the outfit does attract a different type of customer, it also boils down to what type of customer you feel comfortable with...

As for me, I love getting hired by the working American. I find rich people always expect a lot for the absolute least amount, then they hold my money as fast if not faster than the working class folk, while I also feel that I get more respect from the working class. Of course I get them of all classes, some just want to hire a slave, but the problem is the rich folk can actually afford it, still I am finding more and more when I am to be treated like their slave, no amount of money can fix the inherent problems with this kind of relationship.

That is not to say I don't have a couple really nice customers in fancy neighborhoods, but I have NO customers in a slew of fancy neighborhoods around here, while I do cover middle and lower-class income neighborhoods considerably.

While my one complaint is the lack of respect and I do suspect a nicer outfit might fix this to some degree, I am also not so foolish as to believe the finest, fanciest looking Lco has the respect problem solved, either :laugh:

So, to each their own...?
  4. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

I feel company shirts are a must.

Everything else can be debated to death.

5. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll assume your joking? We made the mistake of running out of shirts during a turn-over and now our screen printing guy is slow, so 3 guys have not hade uniforms for a month and it's driving me mad. I paid a little extra to speed it up and we'll have our (new and improved) uniforms by Friday. Can't wait, their top-notch. Will post pics for ideas when they come back.
  6. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Gateway is the most professional small LCO I have had the pleasure to become acquainted with...Sharp looking equipment/truck and uniformed far beyond what one would expect for being a small guy...LOOKOUT Groundmaster!!!:laugh: :weightlifter: :usflag:
  7. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks splicer! We always try to look are best even with all this rain that we have been having lately.:waving:
  8. Gatewayuser

Thanks Team-Green you have a ton of great ideas and if anyone has a question in marketing he is the one to talk to. He is going to help give this industry finally the respect it deserves. :weightlifter:
  9. markam70

markam70 LawnSite Member
    from USA

No offense Gateway, but after reading the posts and checking your website. I must say I was disappointed. Not as professional as they made you sound. I guess I expected the quality of your work to be higher. Maybe just bad pics?
  10. Gatewayuser

Don't look at that those are super old pics I am talking 2003 I will remove the site until a new is up which I am working on.
    That was something I did during the winter when I was bored and hey it was free the pics were just some I had loaded in my computer from 03, stripes were made by the gateway.I have been wanting to get rid of that site but I can't remember my user name and password. It also does not reflect my work at all. All the pics were from when I was small and unexperienced. Splicer and Team Green can back me up both have seen my work.