1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Ups and Downs???

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Gatewayuser, May 20, 2006.

1. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

Here is the situation. I am going to start to offer landscape lighting but I was thinking of starting a new company for it with a separate name instead of just using my landscape/lawn care name. The reason I think its a good idea is because it would be easier to track costs and market. What would be the down sides of doing this if any and what would be the positives? I already have 1 maintenance job from an existing grounds job.
    Thanks!

2. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Why not just keep the same co for everything. Lots less paperwork that way.:confused:

3. Gatewayuser

Well I was thinking it would be easier to market to people who already have a lawn care and landscape company they are happy with and I could take care of the lights without the company feeling like I am there to steal their job. It would also be easier to market to commercial customers I think.

4. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

I've heard of others doing the same. What a concept. You arrive at a property to do a job, and while talking with the customer you can recomend your other company. Won't they be suprised to see you pull up to give them a bid on the other services...lol.

5. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

I guess it's up to you but also it depends on how hard you want to push the idea. I still would keep it the same. JMO:waving:

6. Gatewayuser

No, it would be different person my brother would run one or the other he would prefer lighting he has manager and business experience. I already have the vehicle to do this and most of the tools so all it would mean is the paper work and I will be going to talk to my CPA when it rains. I have been training my brother to run my lawn and landscape business in case I ever get sick or go on a long trip, he is good when in charge of my other employee.