Upscale Homes?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Axl, Mar 23, 2005.

1. Axl

Axl LawnSite Member

There are about 10-15 house that are 500+ thousand dollar homes along a stretch of raod that is surrounded by 2-300 thousand dollar homes. The front yard is gated with the really nice concret pillars and thick bar fencing. I was wondering what you guys think would be the best way to approach or advertise to upscale houses, I would go door to door but I wouldnt feel right since there is no side walk, also along a main road.

2. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Is your trailer and/or truck lettered? Yes, then just drive to the front of the house right around dinnertime...keep your hand on the horn until someone comes outside and then speak with them...

Kidding aside, I would do a direct mailing...either with postcard or with a nice flyer. Also, you can try writing them a letter addressed to the homeowner (could try looking at the taxmaps) and mail them something along the lines of "I work in the area and could do such and such work for this amount..."

3. Axl

Axl LawnSite Member

That doesnt sound like a bad idea

4. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

if it's gated, that means they probably would prefer you respect their privacy. for those homes, i would do a very nice targeted mailing to those specifc neighborhoods.

or just wallpaper their gates with fluorescent green flyers. remember, any publicity is good publicity... ;)

5. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

We did direct mailings to a selected group of homes that were in the 2-4 million dollar range. It worked out OK just have very high expectations. Which is fine but there was a guy that worked for me and he resembled another guy from the previous landscape company and told me he was not allowed on the property. I had to have a meeting with the owner to tell him he never worked for that company so charge accordingly.

Jason

6. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a similar set up. I picked up five accounts in a high-end neighborhood five years ago. Due to quality of service I now have 40 accounts in the sme neighborhood. Try talking to the homeowners assoc.

7. Axl

Axl LawnSite Member

ANY more suggestions

8. SOMM

SOMM LawnSite Senior Member

In The Mailbox Flyers (NEVER time their arrival on a Monday or Holiday - later in the week arrivals are best timing. DON'T put them in envelopes):

Real Expensive Route:
    Subscribe to a list service that ships you personalized, homeowners-name, address labels based on mortgage-$$$-demographics per that zip code that you request from them, for a (approx.) $27.50-per-month fee commitment that is otherwise better spent on an entire box of Avery labels(add to that: time meeting with your Postmaster regarding the mailiblity of the mailpiece, applicable first class or post-card postage, and your print costs).

Moderately Expensive Route: (due to time consumption):
    Use your City or County Assessor's Office Online Property Database (some recorder of deeds offices have online database) to locate the actual owner of record, cut & paste their names to your own list, format your own labelstock, print from your own list and apply the correct postage to mail out to these homeowners at least 4 times per year to "get your name in front of them" frequently. Great for seasonal ads.

Economy Route:
    Get your flyer or post card printed up**, apply rose or flower theme postal stamps, (get a fresh haircut and) dress business-casual like you own the company if you're going to walk them around that posh neigborhood, delivery only between the hours of the local schools only - not earlier or later unless they have curbside mailboxes that you'll be driving up to, and physically place the properly-postaged flyers/cards into, just like the mail-carrier does - because you've got a perfect right to the same (during daylight hours) - as long as the correct postage is applied.

**valuable flyer/ad template advice from Team Gopher at this thread:
    http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=98647&highlight=Yellow+Page+Ads

9. Axl

Axl LawnSite Member

so if I put the proper postage on the flyers I can put them in the mail box?

You said do not put them in envelopes?

10. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

a formal letter in their mailbox