Upscale Neighborhood Advertising

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Ravenwood Landscaping, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Ravenwood Landscaping

Ravenwood Landscaping LawnSite Member

I'm looking for help on advertising in upscale neighborhoods. I have a lot of high end houses sitting on 4-5 acres that all have their yards maintained. I'm not sure how to get to these houses effectively. I can't imagine these people want door to door salesmen visting them and I don't think a postcard in the newspaper box is going to make it either. Does anyone have any real life experience in what worked and what didn't in areas like this?

2. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

I was wondering the same thing. It isn't the same when you're walking up a 150' driveway to the door... it feels so much more like you're trespassing.

3. RGM

RGM LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Baltimore Md

Lots of times its luck every now and then I take a truck and trailer tthru one of these nice hoods and stop for a bit with my signs out

4. Ravenwood Landscaping

Ravenwood Landscaping LawnSite Member

Unfortunately, I'm trying to get to them before they sign their renewal contracts and my newer truck isn't lettered yet and I got rid of the old one. This weekend is suppossed to be somewhat nice (mid-50's and sunny), so I'm hoping some people will get out and walk. I'm not nervous in trying to sell people, but I wouldn't want people in my neighborhood walking up to me while I'm trying to relax.

Anyone at all with anything successful?

5. Armadillolawncare

Armadillolawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I have a similiar situation with a small upscale neighborhood. Since it is a total of only about 5 streets I am going to go down each street and write down each address and then just direct mail them a postcard. Really if the addresses are in a pattern and most are all I need to know is the first and last address on each street and I can then mail a postcard to each number in between.

6. goose

goose LawnSite Member

Do everything you can to get your foot in the door.If you have a logo use it on everything.Brand your company.It might not happen over night but prepare for it to. Plan before you really need it.

7. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats a great idea! Another option is to type up a nice, short letter and sign it. Even 1 or 2 customers will be worth the time you spend getting them, then its a breeze getting more.

8. Landstyles2

Landstyles2 LawnSite Member

Has anyone ever advertised with a 4x8 fluorescent sign and if so did it generate any buissness?

9. Turfdoctor1

Turfdoctor1 LawnSite Senior Member

Use a reverse directory to look up names for the addresses. Then, sit down and write a thoughtful, personal letter expressing why you believe that you can help take their lawn to the next level. Or, a letter saying you are cheaper, or whatever your selling point is.

The point is, tell the customer, personally that you would like to have their business.