Upselling

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by OnMyOwn, Jan 13, 2006.

1. OnMyOwn

OnMyOwn LawnSite Senior Member

I have entered all of my Work Agreements for 2006, pending client approvals. They focus mostly on mowing and a small number of repeat mulch jobs. I have not forecasted any upselling items, as they are often hit / miss, depending on the year; although history shows 35% additional business. I'm just wondering if this is common for everyone else's business. Do you expect 35% more business once the trucks starts rolling in the spring?

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Usually people don't do too much, until the season begins. I really wouldn't worry too much about it

3. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

Upselling should be a year long endeavor. Meaning in the spring you should send out mulch coupons with your bills, bed weed control if certified, seasonal color, etc. then as summer goes on gurb control, areationa over seeding in the fall etc. we are leaving somethng with the customer every month. Alway try to up sell. BUt as in the previous post most clients will not purchase now unless they know they are going ot get something and you are offering a discount. If you looking for up sell now send a note to all customers who bought areation from you last year offering them a discount if they commit now and pay now.

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

IMO, it's hard to know what to expect with respect to increased business each year. This year I have said I want at least X amount more and no more than X unless I go out and buy a bunch more equipment. More importantly is to have a Business Plan before the season begins.

5. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Ditto what Rod said. I do the same.Planned growth over time is the best way to grow. If you try and grow too quickly( rather adding new clients, overselling, etc..), your expeditures can overshadow your AR, and you can lose more than you're making. Slow and steady wins the race..lol