Upside down bent frame mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tralfaz, Jul 1, 2003.

1. tralfaz

tralfaz LawnSite Member

The other day I was driving in the left lane when some idiot hits me on the front axle of my trailer changing lanes frome the right lane. Apparently, he saw my truck but did not see the trailer behind it. Well, on impact I look in the rear view and see my eXmark Lazer Z fly off the trailer. It hit in a turning lane and wound upside down. Luckily I only had it on the trailer that day. It is made tough but looks like it will be totalled. The frame is bent in places along with quite a bit of other damage. The engine looks o.k.
    Anyway, the other driver's insurance company has claimed liability. My trailer's front axle is messed up but I am more concerned about the mower (luckily I have another trailer). I just purchased the mower last year but it did just hit 1,000 hours last week.
    Any suggestions on what I should ask for or expect? My dealer is loaning me a Hustler Z until something is settled. Thanks

2. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

You should expect replacement value for your lazer.

You are very lucky you did not get a loose load ticket.

3. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Move quickly and keep pressing the insurance company for rapid settlement.
    If they do stall, start suggesting/then demanding that they must rent you equal equipment until a settlement is reached, or they'll have to start paying your lost wages.

Not saying gouge them, they need to put you back in the same condition you were in before their client decided to daydream and drive at the same time, you should not be out anything.

4. Quail Creek LC

Quail Creek LC LawnSite Member
    from IOWA

Trust me, there gonna try to screw you anyway they can. Especially with damaged property. You wont get new mower out of it. So be prepared to get your checkbook out and make up the difference. I'm just speaking from experience.

5. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I would recommend that you talk with a lawyer and/or your insurance company. I would be prepared to make up the difference on what they offer you for your mower. I would seriously doubt they are going to pay for its full replacement value. They will give you it's depreciated value unless you were hurt or are threatening to sue for lost wages etc.

Gravely_Man

6. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

Your insurance may cover the difference. Check to see if you have replacement covereage or actual value.