1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

upside down blade

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by deerex, May 2, 2007.

1. deerex

deerex LawnSite Member

was out mowing first account today thought to myself man that cut sucks. Didnt know what was wrong and didn't have time to investigate so i just switched mowers. I got home tonight lifted mower and I had my left blade on my lazer hp on upside down. I just sat there and laughed and was happy nothing serious. Anyone else ever do this or equally as stupid?
  2. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

this is where woody needs to chime in. i remember last year we were mowin a yard and his mower was deliverin a crappy cut! and sure enough when i looked, it was upside down! we laughed for about thirty minutes!
  3. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Darn it! Please don't bring that crap up again! haha That was so embarrassing! I am still laughing about that. Now I ALWAYS double check the blades when I put them on to make sure I put them on the right way...haha
  4. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

A salesman told me this story about two partners new to the biz. They had a new mower that they'd changed blades on but after that it cut terribly. So they brought it into the shop where they looked at it and found the blades were on upside down.

First partner: "Look what you did when you put them back on, dummy!"

Second partner "Well you HANDED them to me!"

I've mounted a blade upside down once or twice, but I always check them and switch it back quickly. I've never mowed with one upside down. I wonder if you could make a dethatcher on that principle.
  5. Tinkerer

Tinkerer LawnSite Senior Member

I did that on purpose on my Toro 120 groundsmaster when I was cutting down some 6' tall ugly weeds. I had ninja mulching blade on (upside down) and it did a better job. Not really the best machine for the job but it helped. My brother worked as an engineer at a factory years ago. One maintanance person they had was not the brightest bulb on the tree and took a push mower out to mow the grass. He was puzzled as to how it was running but not mowing grass. After investigation he found out it had no blade on it.
  6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, I did that once with one blade on a 3 blade mower. No biggie but it did leave a strange stripe on the lawn.
  7. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Man I can see where that could EASILY happen!! Must have been a funny looking cut! lol
  8. ed2150

ed2150 LawnSite Member

Back in the early 70's my neighbor bought a new 21" Hahn Eclipse self-propelled mower with electric start......about $400, a very expensive mower back then. Cut like crap! He took it back where he bought it; they checked it out and couldn't find anything wrong so they sharpened the blade and sent him back home.

After a couple of weeks he was fed up and sold it to me for $75. I had never even looked at it but figured it was worth that. Glanced under the deck, took 2 minutes to flip the blade over and then spent the next 20 years or so mowing with an excellent mower.
  9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

No, I can honestly say this is one I've never had happen, but I have gone off cutting and wondered 'wth is wrong with this pos' then realized my blades were not engaged, things sure were kinda quiet thou.

I enjoy it, too, when I'm pulling and pulling and it just won't start...
    And oh, the ignition switch is off.
  10. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

ha! done that before!