Upsizing to 1"

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by RollTide, Apr 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide LawnSite Member

My meter is 3/4 and so I used all sch40 3/4 for my install. If I had upsized to 1" for the install would it have increased the gpm and allow more heads per zone? Am I at the mercy of the size of the meter? Btw, this is city water in a residential hood on lots 3/8-1/2 acre.

Thanks,
    Steve

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Likely the upsize would have meant more available flow, and shorter watering time. (and no, you can't upsize the meter and get the same result)

3. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe ..... maybe not, but a bigger pipe would mean less pressure loss.

4. RollTide

RollTide LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies. So, I would've had more flow but would I have less pressure? Wouldn't there be a pressure drop?
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

You may or may not get more flow volume.

pressure loss in pipes is inversely proportional to size.

6. MostWantedLandscape

MostWantedLandscape LawnSite Member

The meter is a small bottle neck. Up sizeing to 1" in this situation will increase volume. The pressure loss is minimal. On the other side of that 3/4" meter is a 8" water line. The biggest problem will be the water velocity in the bottle neck, which is minimal.

7. RollTide

RollTide LawnSite Member

Oh! Ok! I gotcha! Thanks!
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

On the other side of the meter is a 3/4" tap, most likely 3/4" copper tubing. How much volume can 3/4" copper tubing carry at a safe velocity?

Really? How much? Are you sure it won't just reduce flow velocity and pressure losses?

9. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

This is a crock, pure and simple. The meter could increased to infinity, and it wouldn't make up for the hundreds of feet of 3/4-inch pipe already in place.

Compared to pipes in a system, a water meter has no appreciable flow limit, so long as it's identical in size to the plumbing going in and out. A 3/4-inch meter is rated for a 30 gpm flow. There's no way the sprinkler system is using 30 gpm, or even half that.

All you get from installing a meter larger than the plumbing it's set in, is a few psi in increased pressure. Changing the 3/4 to a 1 gives you less than a 5 psi increase, since the 3/4 meter didn't represent a significant pressure loss in the first place.

10. MostWantedLandscape

MostWantedLandscape LawnSite Member

I'm not going to argue! Best thing for you to do is some real world testing. I've been doing it for 20 yrs+ and I've yet to have a volume/velocity problem up sizing from 3/4" to 1".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.