1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

ur opinions on best hydro for the $$

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dlandscaping, Feb 11, 2002.

what hydro walkbehind to buy?

1. toro 44inch tbar 15 kohler free sulky and bag $4500

0 vote(s)
  2. toro 52 inch tbar 17kawi elec start free sulky, bag $5300

7 vote(s)
  3. scag 48inch 17 kawi recoil start no sulky or bag $5200

10 vote(s)
  4. exmark 48 tthp with 17kawi ecs controls $5300

20 vote(s)
  5. toro 44 pistol grip 15 kawi free sulky and bag $4600

0 vote(s)
  1. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

i am close to two dealers with 3 different mower brands. i want a hydro walkbehind with floating deck, no ztr (no room and too much $$ right now next yr maybe). the three mowers to chose from are exmark toro and scag
    i wanted to makea poll to have you guys decide which is the best mower in your opinions.
  2. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

best mower is the one u test at the dealer and like the best, also take into consideration what size will work best with u. also check the search engine for "best walkbehind" im sure u will find pages and pages with all our preferences.
  3. PAPS

PAPS LawnSite Senior Member

none of them... 52'' Ferris hydros.... $4000.00 by me
  4. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

a wb with a T beats a squeeze grip. 52 " the largest.
    Is your Lesco 48 for sale? I' ve owned three wb a 44 Toro,
    a 48 Scag w Tbar, and a 52 Lesco w a T bar. My daughter
    drives a T bar easily but hates pistol grip have to squeeze both hands to stop. The T just let go of the handle the blades stop and forward motion stops. ED
  5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Ferris...thank you
  6. kenneth parsons

kenneth parsons LawnSite Member

I'd vote for the Scag based on the choices...they build a great product. I personally run a 36 Ferris w/kaw power and a 52 Lesco w/kaw power. I have recently learned that Exmark has over 50% of the market. I'd base my decision on serviceability of the unit. If it goes down, how quick can the shop get it back in service and, will this shop loan you a demo while yours is down.
  7. kenneth parsons

kenneth parsons LawnSite Member

Based on the choices, I'd buy the Scag...they build a great product. I personall run a 36 Ferris w/kaw ( just bought a new kawasaki for it today after 10 years) and a 52 Lesco w/kaw. Do your homework on the shop though...you don't want to buy something you can't get serviced in a hurry. Make sure the shop stocks enough parts for major service and has the capacity to turn it around or loan you a demo till yours is back in service. Making $$$ is your bottom line!

8. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

Those prices seem a bit to expensive. I would go for the Scag or Exmark. I own a Scag 52' Hydro, great mower. Around here you could get a mower like that, a bag, and a sulky. www.alamia.com has pretty good prices on Scags, I don't know where to find an Exmark. shipping to 48 states is most of the time free. Good Luck!
  9. LawnCrafters

LawnCrafters LawnSite Member

PAPS and rodfather are right. Too bad you don't have a Ferris dealer by you. They now make a floating deck too.
  10. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

I voted scag. Personally I would get a 52" scag with an advantage deck and no floating deck. I have had two 52" scag hydro's and they are tanks. I'm not real fond of scag riders, but they make the best walkbehinds. Honestly I think floating decks on walkbehinds are stupid (unless its a 60" or 72" deck). Also i know the 4" between the 48" and 52" dosn't sounds like a big difference but it is. Anyway, good luck.