Urea and Perma- Green

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by redbuckcavs, Nov 8, 2007.

1. redbuckcavs

redbuckcavs LawnSite Member
    from indiana

I'm going to get started with my "Winterizer" in Indiana on Sat. I bought 3 ton Bulk Urea (First time trying this) and I also bought 1 bag Anderson bag Urea to compare the particle size between the two.

I will be using my Perma Green Magnum and add 50lbs. to see how many sg ft I can get. Is it fair to think setting "12'' should get me 1 pound of N per1000M

Do I need 2lbs Urea per 1000M to = 1lb N
    If so then 50 lb should get me 25000 sg ft
    Thanks in advance!!!
  2. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

If it's 46-0-0, going two pounds per 1000 = .86 lbs of N per 1000. You may want to tweak your ride-on up to about 2.3 lbs/1000.

After your first 3 or 4 lawns, you will nail the setting right on. Just a guess, but I'd try setting the spreader with the holes half open ??? We don't go by number or letter settings, cuz every spreader is slightly different.
  3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I set my Permagreen Ultra openings to about #11 using the green Lesco guage--for 41-0-6. Setting is about 0.5--on the Ultra.

You should apply about 2.17 pounds of urea to get one pound of nitrogen per thousand.

If you drive at 4 miles per hour--you will cover 352 feet per minute. If you cover a 10 foot swath (measured center to center), you will cover 3520 sqft per minute. You should get about 23,000 sqft per bag. 50 pounds should last 6 minutes and 30 seconds.

I suggest use a stop watch. Adjust openings until you can come close to 6 minutes and 30 seconds per bag. Plus or minus 15 percent is better calibration than Trugreen and 90 percent of ordinary companies.

Of course the last little bit never comes out so you need to run it down until the agitator or some other mark is just barely visible.

Hope this helps.
  4. redbuckcavs

redbuckcavs LawnSite Member
    from indiana

Well today I tried to calabrate my Permagreen, however the 20mph wind that we seem to be having every other day didn't help.
    Ive used 46-0-0 with the Magnum and applied 50lbs at setting "13" and it covered 21000 sg ft ---- If I did my math correct this is a little over 1 pound N per 1000 sg ft. I thought the setting was high, but I realize Urea is a light product therefore requiring more to get 2lbs per 1000m