Urea as ice melt?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ThreeWide, Feb 21, 2006.

1. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Someone educate a Southerner on something here....

Was passing through Salt Lake City yesterday on a trip for the weekend. It had snowed there the day before, and apparently the ground crew there used Urea as ice melt. Saw bags lying around, so naturally it got my attention.

Is this common?

2. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

you can use it but its expensive. Ive seen people use the salt from your water purifying system

3. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

Logan Airport, Boston uses Urea. I beleive most airports do?

Does a nice job of melting and is actually cheaper when appling over very large areas

4. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

Urea is a poor ice melter compared to many others. Mag cloride,Potassium cloride, Calcium cloride. I belive urea only works down to about 20 degrees. For some areas thats fine, here in Maine its a waste of money.

5. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

I usein instead of calcium on concrete when it is 25 or above. It is much cheaper and no chance to hurt the concrete. On bad winters you will see a nice green patch of grass along the sidewalks come spring.

6. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I use to work at Indianapolis International Airport, they use urea on the runways all the time. its supposed to be easier on the concrete runways.

7. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

I thought airports used calcium magnesium acetate. I guess urea is a lot cheaper