1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

urea for last fert in november

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by wpines, Oct 31, 2004.

1. wpines

wpines LawnSite Member

hes anyone used 1-1.5 lbs/1000 of urea for a last fert in november in the northeast? good/bad results?
  2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

I am out of place by answering your post. I am a warm season guy. However it is my under standing the fall fertilization with heavy Nitrogen is a very good practice on cool season turf which does not go dormant. It not only increases root growth but helps with spring green up.

I apologize if my advise is wrong. Someone will correct me.
  3. Dman1214

Dman1214 Banned

We have had problems over the years contributing to snow mold over the winter. We always applied all chemical, no slow-release (25-10-18, if i remember correctly) at 1lbN/ooo. In the future, I will apply some SCU and more potash and try to improve timing. Obviously, there a great benefits as well, it is a fine balancing act - that agro/ecomonic battleAny thoughts? Dman
  4. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

ric is right again....... the rate that you put down is dependant on your program for your area. My program is developed to apply as much N as you stated in the late fall.
    example, If you area calls for 4 lbs N per season and you have already applied 3.5 lbs than you would want to lower your rate. My suggestion is lower your N rate in the spring and apply the heavier rate in the fall.
    Hope that makes since.
    In my opinion, slow release is a waste of money once turf has slowed or stopped growing but many will disagree. The object of late fall fert is so the the roots will store energy for the winter. The quicker you get it in the soil the more energy they will store before the harsh temps come. But be careful not to apply urea at these rates to early or you may make a new flush of growth right before winter.
  5. wpines

wpines LawnSite Member

Like kickin said. The object is to get quick release nitrogen to the roots right after top growth stops.
    Like most things in life, timing is everything.
    Urea is cheap and fast. Why don't I hear more about it's use? At 1-1.5 lbs per 1000 it seems safe. And it sure is cheap.
    Am I missing something?
  6. Greenie

Greenie LawnSite Member

I've used urea in November in Maine for the past 3 years with great results. No problems at all and a big improvement the following spring.
  7. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Rutgers Coop ext. svcx. recommends up to 2#'s N/1000 sqft in fall (late November) Just don't exceed 53N/1000 sq ft for the season!
  8. dantelawn

dantelawn LawnSite Member
    from PA

The problem w/ Urea only arises when there is no moisture. Most of it will volitize w/o any rain and you will not get the true 1/lb N per K. In addition, on a standard size prill, it is difficult to spread a 50 lb bag over 23,000 sqft.
  9. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

The most common recommendation is to use urea for the late fall app. However, I follow a different program to help avert snow mold. We use ½# N/1000 ft² in an 8-4-24 formulation. The extra K helps hardiness in grass plant. I only get snow mold in ryes, bent, and stressed KBG.

Recent publication from Purdue suggests that anything over 1.5 #N is wasted: http://www.agry.purdue.edu/turf/tips/2004/N1030.htm
  10. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

In another 2 weeks or so I am going with a urea application as well for all of the benefits that Ric mentioned..