urea

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by RigglePLC, Nov 4, 2007.

1. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Who pass on the grass,
    I agree with you. Urea has its place. It is an excellent nitrogen carrier. Most other forms are high in salt. Almost all fertilizers contain either urea or sulfer coated urea, these days. If a soil test shows no need for potash or phosphorus--why would you use anything else--except slow release forms of urea, (like SCU, IBDU, or methyene urea). Yes I learned the basics at TruGreen. I have been going to Turf Conferences for 20 years at Michigan State University. I do not remember them talking about turf damage due to urea.

How many vote urea is OK?

Who votes never apply to growing turf alone?

2. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

I get far less disease activity, and a much better response from Ammonium Sulfate.

K is also a key to survive stress periods.

But that's just me with our heavy clay soils and high pH.

3. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Urea is more then OK!

46-0-0 is a great N source (quick release). I don't like to use it personally as I always use an SCU.

The dude on the other post it just wrong, but I didn't feel like arguing.

As far as SALT.....who cares! When you are applying a product at 2#/1000 it doesn't matter. Plus I have never heard of Urea as a salt. It may have characteristics of a salt...but that doesn't make it salt. Where did he get his info?

ALL Universties promote using Urea or Ammonium Sulfate as an N source for late fall/winterizer applications. In most areas all you need is N. Very few soils in our area require additional P and K. I just use 32-3-8 on all apps and for my late fall I am still not sure but was thinking about using Urea just for good cheap N.

Here is Purdue's Turf Tips on N:
    http://www.agry.purdue.edu/turf/tips/2007/10_25fert.html
    http://www.agry.purdue.edu/turf/tips/2007/10_25novfert.html

Don't see any of the bullcrap the guy mentioned on the other post!

4. LIBERTYLANDSCAPING

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

5. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

I have been using 46-0-0 for my last application the past three years with excellent results. As far as the salt goes, which I really don't think is a problem with urea, we get enough rain to wash the salts through the soils. The salts may be a problem in the southwest but not here. As far as adding additional potassium unless the soil needs it why add it. There has been no studies that adding additional potassium results to cool season grasses to be of any benefit if adequate levels are already present. Turf only luxury feeds on nitrogen, not on P & K. I agree, ammonium sulfate is an excellent fertilizer, but urea is readily available and relatively cheap.

Mike I
    Mike's Total Lawn Care

6. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Rodney,
    All of it's not in print any longer, but I still subscribe to the '1st rendition' of O.S.U.'s Dr. John Street, from back in the early to mid '80s. What I blogged in the other thread was just a itty bitty part of his teachings then. What has happened since then is that OSU has gradually 'buddied up' with many of the other schools in the midwest to form a this grand plan that you sent over; a nice way to 'keep everyone on the same page', and to prevent contradictions from neighboring state to state,for sure!

I know Mr. Street. He still would not disagree with any of what I have to say. But he's not stupid. He knows it's not fashionable to 'go' that direction now in print.

And you all can scream and holler all you want! But I can walk down an Ohio street, any street in April, May or June and easily pick out most of the yards that were abused by the mistimed application of urea the prior fall!

7. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Please explain what abused or mistimed means? Please explain what you see and how you know what N source was applied?

What N source do you use in the late fall/winterizer?

8. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Marcos,

Just to clarify....I just read the other post where all this started and I wasn't talking about your comments. I was talking about the comments from the Gerry Miller dude that said Urea was a Salt.

9. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Again, perhaps we're arguing over differences in our territories. Out here in the arid rockies, disease is totally a NON-ISSUE. As for blends, the official idea in my area is a 5-1-2 blend (unless you have no need for phosphorous). Thus, I run urea and potassium. Oh yeah, and LOTSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS of Iron.

10. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

it is possible that even though your soil test show the nutrient in the soil, it is not in a form avaible to the plant?? correct?