urethane edges

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by plowking35, Aug 26, 2000.

1. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

http://www.mptek.com
    http://www.thehousedoktor.com try these 2 sites for more info.
    No our edges are not rubber, and they are not plastic. That is UHMW. We use polyurethane, same stuff skateboard wheels,and suspension parts are made from.
    I am a distributor, but you can contact MTS and they will give you your local dealer.
    On a straight steel to urethane pricing the urethane will cost about 2.5 x more. But it has 3 wear surfaces and each one will last 2-5x longer than steel.
    So worst case you get get the = to 6 steel edges, that will make the urethane less than 1/2 the cost of steel replacements. factor in the labor savings, and no damage to truck, plow, grass or curbs, and the cost savings is even higher.
    As far as curb savers from cpw go, they will run you like
    $ 75.00 per side, add that to a new steel edge and you are up to $ 250.00 for a steel edge, about what a urethane edge will run. Now we recommend that you buy a urethane edge 6" longer than your plow, and overhang 3" on each side. Insatnt curb protection, and it will not scar the curbs like the steel protectors will.
    Call me at 860/859-0739 and I will be happy to answer and ?
    Dino

2. steven Bousquet

steven Bousquet LawnSite Member

how do you attach the skate board wheels to the plow? would it b easier to put the skate board under the plow blade? or would a snow board b better and if so what kind if wax would be best. lemon or pine .

3. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

E-mail me with COD price to fit 8' Fisher minute mount FOB southeastern CT (I can drive the 45 min to pick up).

Does the price include mounting bolts or do I need to purchase those locally?

4. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

If you can convince me that they will hold up against grooved pavement, I will try to talk the company into them.

Also, if you can convince me they will scrape to bare pavement as well as steel, then we will buy them....

steveair

5. plowking35

from S.E. CT

We have many airports using them, why, because they are not affected by grooved pavement. Just drop an email to the MPTK web site, attn. Vinnie Panaronie, and he will tell you all you want to know and then some.
    It does scrape as well as steel, but for airports its not an issue, you guys are out from flake 1 and there isnt any hardpack that accumulates.
    Dino

6. jaclawn

jaclawn LawnSite Senior Member

How do you get three wear surfaces? I understand flipping it to get two, but three?

7. plowking35

from S.E. CT

1- Two inches of blade below original steel edge that wears up steel edge
    2- Turn steel edge over but leave urethane edge in place, wear up to bottom of moldboard(in fcat this may result in 4 edges since the urethane edge may hang down to much, and have to be redrilled so that only 2" is below the steel edge retainer
    3- Turn entire set up 180 degrees

Any questions
    Dino

8. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

How thick are the ones for Fisher? You mention different thickneses in your commentary. Can they be cut/drilled with ordinary carpentry saw/drill?

9. plowking35

from S.E. CT

I beleive that my article stated common carpenter tools. Twist bit and good carbide blade. I suggest 1.5" for all pick up/ one ton plows. Any where from 7'0"-9'.5" plows.
    Anything bigger I would suggest a 2" edge.
    Dino