urethane kit for vp1550, anyone try one?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Grn Mtn, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought a Wacker VP1550W and after looking at the manual I see there is a urethane plate kit for pavers, has anyone used this and does it work well?

Before Polymeric I just used to put a good coating of sand down to protect the pavers, but now at $25 a bag I put just enough to fill the gaps. Was thinking this might help with some of the scratches left by the metal plate.

2. B. L. Landscaping

B. L. Landscaping LawnSite Member

I have used one it was on a dynapac and it worked really well. I use a carpet sample on my compactor I slide it under and in front I have holes in the carpet put bolts through it and wing nuts to hold it this is alot cheaper than buying a poly pad. You can usually get the carpet samples free.

3. pavespec

pavespec LawnSite Member
    from nyc, ny

The wacker 1550 compactor is not recommended to compact pavers. Its only 3375 lbs of force and you need at least 5000 lbs of force. The pad works well for clay brick. Its not really needed for concrete pavers. You can also use a piece of geotextile fabric.

4. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

I sweep all my joints with Polymeric sand, then cover the entire area with extra mason sand that's left over. You have to make sure you don't leave clumps or piles. Next, I plate tamp over everything.. left, right, up, down. The sand allows the tamper to glide easily over the pavers, and not cause scuffing. Most of the sand is pulverized afterwords, which we broom or blow away with a leaf blower. The joints are re-swept with Polymeric sand , and then lightly watered down.

5. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

the 5000# tamper is for the base only, he is asking about tamping the pavers, which a 5000# plate will crack the pavers. his plate is fine for the paver compaction. some type of pad is needed for any paver that is not tumbled or has a profile. we finally broke down and bought the pad for our plate last year. it is worth having, it last for ever. i thought about making my own but ended up just buying it. its a rip off, but so is everything made for the hardscaping industry. they must think that we are surgeons, not contractors.

6. Grn Mtn

Thanks for info guys.

7. Grn Mtn

wow, that seems like an extra step, sweeping in always takes way longer than I want it too (just want to be done at that point) and I would be afraid of contaminating the polymeric (mixing in too much sand than the top layer doesn't set up)

8. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

one problem with that is that you need to do a pass on the pavers before you put down the joint sand to set them into the bedding sand. then you can put the joint sand down. you still run the risk of stuffing the pavers.

9. pavespec

pavespec LawnSite Member
    from nyc, ny

You are wrong about the compactors. As you should notice with a plate under 5000 lb of force the plates bounces on the pavers. All specs by all the major publications say a compactor between 4,000 and 5,000 lbs of force will due. Try a plate that bangs 5000 lbs you will see the difference. remember your every day run of the mill paver is around 8,000 psi minimum. I have plates of all sizes and a wacker 1550 does properly set the pavers. The wacker is also a asphalt plate. That is what it is designed for. If you have the chance try Pavetech's Paver Packer. Wacker, Bomag have compactors in the 5000 lb range. Try one you wont be. disappointed.

10. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

he is not wrong about the compactors. You are wrong about the pavers. They may be 8k but if you point load one with a large compactor and no buffer you can crack it.

We use carpet and have it tied to our compactor.