1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Urgent bobcat 553 help needed

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Lynden-Jeff, Apr 21, 2007.

1. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

I rented a 553 to learn how to drive a bobcat and spread some gravel however I have already ran in to problems. When I took the thing off my trailer it worked fine and I shut it off for a little while and then came back the boom would only go up and the bucket would only tilt down. Now when I stomp the pedal it jams and lowers however it does not work with the bucket. Its almost like a linkage is jammed or something. Ive got all the safetys on, bar down, green button pressed, full throttle, I just dont know what else to try and the rental place is closed tomorow. The thing is old as **** and has 8000 hrs on it but it was working fine when I start. ANY input would be great.

2. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

first thought is a saftey not completely latched or unlatched. Especialy since this is a higher hour machine, the catches might be a bit worn and you might have to really slam the bar (if its a mechanical latch) etc, just a thought. Otherwise, its a bit odd that it had been working perfect and now is all out of wack.
  3. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

its a rental right call them and have them fix it
  4. Lynden-Jeff

Thats what I thought and when the bar does come down the safeties are released since I can move the arms up its just the pedal tilting forward doesnt move the arm down and tilting the other pedal back doesnt curl the bucket backwards. Its weird and driving me nuts. Thanks for the input.

They are closed until monday when im supposed to bring it back hence my plea for help on lawnsite.

5. ncls

ncls LawnSite Senior Member

Got a rock wedged under the pedals??
  6. Lynden-Jeff

Don't think so but I will take a look in the morning. If I JAM the arm pedal then it sticks in the LOWER position until I hit it the opposite way which tells me something may be jammed in there but it may also be catching something. Can the arm just DROP when in the up position? Should I put the arm safety blocker on before messing with the pedals from outside?

7. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

Its in the safety deal. Try slamming the bar, hit the green button if it has one and move control sticks back and forth fast with some rpms. 8000 hours, hmm surprised it even runs.
  8. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke LawnSite Member

When you jam the pedal forward and it locks this is the "float" position for the lift arms thats why it stays there till you bump it with you heal and it releases. YES PUT THE LIFT ARM SUPPORT IN IF YOU ARE WORKING UNDER IT WITH THE ARMS UP!!!!!!!
  9. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

look for water bottles under the seat/pedals.

It is possible that something in the hydraulic system is plugged. Does it heat up according to the temp. gauge?
  10. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

good point!