Urgent Help Needed!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lgyardservices, Apr 24, 2008.

1. lgyardservices

lgyardservices LawnSite Senior Member

hey everyone,

I have been looking on the LawnSite forum for about a month now but still havent posted a lot. But now i need help!

I'm a 15 year old in the business. I have about 15 good residential accounts. For equipment: I have 2 Toro Commercial 21", a old 22" Crapsmen used for mowing crappy yards and power raking, a stihl trimmer, stihl stick edger, backup Homelite trimmer, and a Homelite blower.(still need to get pics)

Now i realize that compared to everyone else, my equipment sucks. LOL
    But i need everyones advice on this apartment bid that i need to put in. It will be my first commercial job and it's pretty huge! (i will post pics from google earth)

they want weekly mowing of all turf areas, a spring,fall, and summer fertilization, and also a cleanup and power raking in fall & spring.

What do you guys think i should do? is it too big of a step for the equipment and 3 man crew that i have? if i should get a bid out, what do you think about all the pricing? i dont have any idea on bidding commercially so please help me out! Thanks!;)

Luke

2. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

it's hard to say, what size is the property? are you licensed, bonded and insured? i don't think you can legally enter a contract with them since you are 15. i'd pass and save up for some better equipment and a little older and able to enter a business deal. how do you get the equipment to the jobs?

3. lgyardservices

The address is

760 Landmark Dr.
    Casper, WY 82609

Thanks! :)

Attached Files:

4. lgyardservices

MikeLT1Z28:

Well i guess i didnt explan all the detatils about my business. =)

I'm not just like a kid around the neighborhood that mows lawns. LOL
    I have a 6x12 custom trailer with racks, etc. pulled by a 2003 F250. I am licenced and legally an LLC, with my part-time partner dad. I am in the local yellowpages and phone directories. I have a company website and banking/checkind account. We have a 3 man crew, me, my dad, and my best friend.

anyways....i'm not entirely sure on the size of the property. hopefully the pic will help. I'm guessing its more then at least an acre but i could be wrong.

more advice would be apprecited. thanks!

5. mtnzone

mtnzone LawnSite Member

Wow 15 yeaqrs old and a true go getter!!

Im very impressed..

with your first post I would have said "dont take it" but with your last post I would say it is right up your alley.!!!!..good luck with it. I cant really give you a bid price for it as I dont know your area.

But i will make a suggestion.. make this one a signature account if you get and do a great job.... take pictures to show future commercial clients..

looking at the amount of views this post has received bet some of the so called " pros" Read the first post and said oh god here comes another "lowballer or kid next door" encroaching on our territory...And skipped right over it..............

6. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

hey, it seems like you have decent equipment for anyone just starting much less a 15 yr old so you seem to be doing pretty good for your age. Keep doing what your doing, I dont think you'll get the bid cause you probably have to be 18, not to mention insured and have the proper permits for your state.

edit- nevermind, new posts

7. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

Even if they 'assume' your pops is the owner of the company with two 15 year old employees.... is it even legal for you to be operating equipment on a commercial property?

Some states ....frown upon that, no?

Hustlin' and cuttin' some grass at your age... I'm all for that.... go get em'!!
    But a commercial property? I would have to think there are some liabilities..

8. lgyardservices

well thanks for the kind words

i really want to take the job but my dad says its just too much. I theres no way that i will e able to do it without a Z-turn. I'm gonna hopefully be gettin one soon.

Do you know of anyone that can help give a bid price? thats what im really looking for since i have no idea about the pricing for commercial accounts. thanks!

9. jcthorne

jcthorne LawnSite Member

I commend your effort at that age to go after a property like this, but the reality of it is you lack the proper equipment to do the job. You also probably don't have some of the requirements that most property management companies require before a bid can be awarded. You'll probably need 2 Mil in General Liability insurance, worker's comp insurance, and proof of commercial auto coverage.

I say submit a bid and use it as a learning experience, but don't get your hopes up in regards to winning the bid unless somebody pulls some serious strings for you.

10. lgyardservices

Well thats what i was thinking too. i have been in the business for the past 3 summers and i have never had any problems about a teenager running power equipment. we have a insurance but im not sure how it will go. what are some things that commercial business's look for when they are looking on signing a contract with a lawn service?