URGENT help needed

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by ALLPro Landscaping, May 18, 2010.

1. ALLPro Landscaping

ALLPro Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Ok so I did some planting for a long time customer, I transplanted everything in the photos except the arborvitae and ornamental grasses. Any how nothing is doing good, the arborvitae and the ornamental grasses are looking the worse as well as the box woods. I planted everything about 2 weeks ago. Any idea whats up here, I have never had this happen before, their are other plants in this bed that are doing good, just not these. Ive had a plant or 2 not last in the past, but not a majority of them dying. Please help.

plant8.jpg

plant7.jpg

plant6.jpg

plant5.jpg

plant4.jpg

2. ALLPro Landscaping

and more .........

Plant3.jpg

Plant2.jpg

plant9.jpg

Before.jpg

3. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Hard to say. So many things could contribute. Did you get plenty of root, plant at proper depth, water in well, have they been watered regularly since? How about mulch, did you put down a thick layer of "hot" mulch. One place around here sells a dark composted pine mulch that is pretty hot.

4. ALLPro Landscaping

Mulch wasn't hot, maybe a little warm. We have been getting rain at least once a week. Planted at a good depth with plenty of roots. The arborvitae were planted to replace the original ones which died. What about a good fert, do you think I can possibly salvage them with some fert

5. Darryl G

Well rain once a week isn't enough. Transplants need to be watered regularly. I don't think fert is going to help. Maybe a soaker hose on a timer if the homeowners can't keep them watered?

6. Mike's Lawn & Snow

Mike's Lawn & Snow LawnSite Senior Member

Transplants are a lot harder to grow healthy mainly because root damage caused when digging them out, especially the arbs

7. ALLPro Landscaping

The arbs were bought from the nursery, as well as the grasses everything else was transplanted. I know transplanting is tough on them, but for everything to be dying off???

8. Darryl G

Composting mulch was the first thing I thought of, which is why I asked. Is that fresh mulch and how thick? It can really get hot and cook/dessicate roots.

9. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

The grass plants or whatever they are....are gonna be pissed..they need theri roots right now. That bush on the right pic..ilex/boxwood? Looks like you should have cut the new growth off the day of transplanting. When transplanting...if those little fiborus roots dry out for more than 5 minutes or so....your f'ing them up. As soon as you yank something out..you put it into a waiting hole and then make it "swim" immediately. Put a hose on a fast trickel right at the neck and move onto you next plant. Then depending on how well the soil holds water, you may have to come back and do it again the next day or at least again in a few days. Bottom line.....go there with a hose and soak the crap out of everything...bad mulch or bad transplant...same remedy.

10. ALLPro Landscaping

It was fresh premium hardwood mulch that I put down, if this is the case, do I warranty them and replaced them at my cost