urgent Retaining wall bid!

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by fastrunner, Jul 30, 2003.

1. fastrunner

fastrunner LawnSite Member

Hi, I need to give a bid by friday on a wall that is 4.5 ft high and 55 feet long.. It is currently a wall with rotted out landscaping timbers and it needs to be replaced.. the wall is straights. i would be using the rockwood classic 6" blocks. they are 18" wide, and 6" high. 56 lbs each. and are $5.88 each block... I need to know how many man hours this might take to construct with backfilling and tearing the old wall out and everything.. I came up with a total of $3980.00 for the job.. Does that sound ok?? $2000.00 for the blocks, 200 for the gravel, 100 for rental equipment like saw and compactor, and about 1600.00 labor.. please let me know what you think..

2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

sounds too cheap.

3. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

Installing the new wall would be around 7 -8 grand around here. Getting rid of the old wall... Maybe 2-3 grand depending on the variables & equipment used.

4. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Your selling yourself short...............

At absolute minimum add 50% to what you have now for a total figure.

5. Lombardi

Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member

My labor rate just for the install would be 110% of the material costs.

6. Mykster

Mykster LawnSite Senior Member

It may be different in other locations, but don't you need an engineer for anything over 4ft high? Might want to check it out.

7. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Price the wall at least $30/SF and charge time and dump fees for the demo and disposal of the ties. You may find that they are costly to dispose of. Put that in the contract and that any work not described in the contract is an extra.

8. QuadRacer041

QuadRacer041 LawnSite Senior Member

i agree

9. fastrunner

fastrunner LawnSite Member

well, i redid the bid and kept all material prices the same, except i uped the labor hours.. I started out at 3900 for the bid, and i am now at $5100.00. I proposed the bid to him and i will let you guys know how it went. I kind of want this job as a good learning experience so i bid kinda low on purpose.. I read up on this rockwood system for a good couple nights, and i am pretty confident that i can put it together nicley.. thanks. jeff

10. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Good Luck !!!!