Urine Burn

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Lou Poco, Sep 30, 2004.

1. Lou Poco

Lou Poco LawnSite Member

How do you treat areas on a lawn suffering from urine burn?

2. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I would stop peeing in the grass and use the bathroom..... :)

3. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

At the homecheepo, there is a product called gypsum. On the bag it says it helps with urine burns on lawns. Some have also said that lime will help with the brown spots.

4. Lou Poco

Lou Poco LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice. Trying to teach the dog to use the commode, but have been unsuccessful to date.

5. Green Dreams

Green Dreams LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

It may encourage her to go elsewhere...

6. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I tried it onece and found that my dog ate the moth balls.
    I have found that most dogs and animals will not urinate in the same place time and time again. The main problem stems from female dogs. When they urinate they squat and the stream goes in one spot, which cause the burn. Male dogs spray every where so the burn is not as noticable as one big brown spot. My advice is either to keep your dogs in one area and chalk up the brown spots to that area or get rid of them. I know that giving up the dogs is not an option so go to your local petco or such and buy one of the many pill forms that keep the burning to a minimum. That should solve your problem the best.
    I for one love my dogs and kids so I just chalk up the back yard as being a war zone of toys and brown spots. Heck no one sees the back yard anyways so who cares.

7. 6 oz of cheap tomatoe juice, and add enough vegatable oil to fill 64oz ketchup bottle, mix well, ( use a blender), apply a little bit on gog food!
    this is a prevenative measure, and works well, I have three labs!

8. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

Mostly female dogs cause their urine is pure urea or NH-4 or amonia. So feed the dog tomato juice on its food that will help. PLus water in the area where the dog takes a leak.