Us Dot

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by PLM-1, Mar 22, 2006.

1. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Reading another thread got me thinking. I know some other lawn companies around here have DOT numbers on their 3/4 trucks. According to FMCSA, I am not required, I don't think. Any opinions?? Who has numbers who doesn't???

2. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats a good question, one that I have been curious about as well. I thought someone on here metiuoned a specific weight, can not remember what it was though. I am also curious about trailers and when they actually need to be licensed. Any ideas on that one? Like I said before, I THINK they both have to do with the weight. I'm sure someone will know.

3. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

if your truck, trailer and equipment exceed 10,000 lbs, you need to register.

4. PLM-1

See, that's what I thought. But i went through the form and answered the questions (correctly I think), then it said it wasn't necessary. .. hmmm

5. Mike Fronczak

Mike Fronczak LawnSite Senior Member

In NY it's 10,000 as of July 5 you must be registered. Was 18,000 in 2005. I'm looking at the sheet right here. Easy to do about half hour online no charge. Instantly get number. I belive each state is different. Check your DOT website.

6. stumper1620

oop's double post

7. stumper1620

the correct answer to this is: combined gross rating, that means if your trailer is rated at 5000 and your truck is rated at 6000 (most all except s10 should be) that puts you up to 11000, yes you need the number for the most part anyone that has a truck and trailer that is commercial use is required to have it.

8. PLM-1

So my next question, are we talking STATE DOT or US DOT??

9. stumper1620

i did mine as a US DOT number, never know when you might run out of state to pick up a machine or something from e-bay.
    Don't cost anything other than the required safety equipment

10. PLM-1