Lawn Care Forum banner

US Lawns Franchise?

29K views 32 replies 26 participants last post by  goodgreen 
#1 ·
I just learned that a buddy of mine (also my competition) might be investing into becoming a US Lawns franchise. Does anybody have any experience with this company or what it might be? My first impression is that it is a scam to take your money and be able to call yourself a US Lawns franchise. I have heard word that my buddy might be going under soon so this news confuses about his future. Any opinions are fine

#5 ·
95% of people on this site or that you talk to will tell you no done do it, it isnt worth it becasue of blah blah blah. I have talked with franchises before becaue I have been seriously interested in them. You can not make a decision on it with out serious in depth research about the company. There should be a salesmen hes talking to to find out information about the company, answer questions that he comes up with (Which he should have a lot of) and go from there.

like royal tree said, it makes sense for some, others it doesnt, and a good salesman will tell you that, and tell the interested franchisee that he doesnt believe he would be a good fit for that franchise like one has told me before.

The nice thing about a franchise is, they have done all the leg work for the company, yes you still have some but your not developing all sorts of systems, rules etc. Thats what that initial start up fee covers (which most are willing to finance inhouse, you dont usually need to pay every penny right away.) They give you all sorts of tools, software, bidding information, to work with. And no you dont get all sorts of accoutns from them, you may get a few, but majority of them do have managers that work with you to get certain accounts.

Plus there are some good perks too, fanchises have big ins with companies and you get a pretty good price on a lot of services, products etc. Most have marketing depts so you dont have to design ads, they will for you.

It works for some, it doesnt for some. You just really have to get past everyone saying no no no no, and dig through the facts. If it makes sense, go for it. And your not going to get any good solid information that will make you decide from people on here. You need to TALK to the franchise and discusss it with them.

#6 ·
Well here's something to think about. Lets say you are in the market to open a hamburger business, and you allready know how to make a pretty mean burger, question do you look into buying into the Mc Donalds franchise or do you go at it on your own creation?

Thing is if you can make a better burger, why would you want to do it someone elses way?
Now you have to pay the franchise for there marketability and such, when you allready know how to make a pretty significant burger right?

Point is if you have been on this site for any amount of time, there is a guy named Sean Adams that has basically laid out for you in detail how to do it just as big if not bigger than most of the franchises, USLawns, Grounds Guy ect.

But now on the other hand, lets say you have no idea how to market yourself, have no idea how to reach out and use the wonderfull thing called google then hey give it a shot. But all to many have done this and found out they could of done it better on there own.

#7 ·
If your buddy competitor is about to go under he is not getting a US Lawns franchise either to pull his bacon out of the fire.

The minimum financial requirement to open a U.S. Lawns franchise in the United States is $175,000 net worth with a minimum of $35,000 in liquid assets plus the ability to cover living expenses for the first full year of business.

#8 ·
its bad for some, good for others. Those companies would not be in business and growing if they didnt know what they were doing. Some people want to manage one or two crews and thats it. That person should not buy a franchise, its a waste of money. If you want to be a large operator and have systems to help you grow, its a good idea because it saves you a lot of stess and headache.

Bottom line, dont listen to anyone on here, dont even listen to the salesperson. Listen to the franchisees. They are the best source of information.

#17 ·
All depends what kind of person you are some people have all the tools to be middle management but lack a few key traits that mean the difference of being a successful business owner or one that fails. For those people who want to be led yet wish some management of a business the franchise is the way to go for them. Personally if I was going to do a franchise it would be a Ruth's Chris Steak House but you need a min of a million liquid for that.

Now if you don't like authority of any kind and hate being told what to do this option sucks.

#18 ·
I work for a us lawns franchise here in kc I was with the company before the purchase for us it was the best thing the company could do. It is not for everyone but they help with systems, training, dot compliance, and most importantly how to figure out what your actually cost of doing business and how to bid. COmmercially we added more business last year than we ever have in the previous eight years. Is it for everybody absolutely not but is it for some yes it was for our company. For the first time I can actually see us growing to
a multi million dollar business instead of 500K or so.

#21 ·
We have a new one here in my territory... nice new truck.. new JD propane Z-turns.... new trailer.... walked into some nice commercial accounts.... some which I had due to US not having a local guy ..I just laugh when I see the money invested.. the extra paperwork he is doing to satisfy USL.. and wonder when the hell he is gonna cut this Shopping Center that he was suppose to have taken over?????

I built my own Franchise in 12 years...my way... and it has worked

#23 ·
A guy up the street from me is pretty high up in the US Lawns food chain. I spoke with him once about it and he basically said that yes, it is alot of money off the start... but they do a huge amount of the legwork as far marketing, advertising, systems for billing and such, can get you equipment for extremely low costs, and they are ONLY commercial. He said that there is money to be made in the residential market but there is also more running around and that homeowners hated the fact of signing a contract, unlike commercial properties that it is usually required. He explained to me that it is not for everybody, including myself, as it ties up alot of money and is a great option for larger outfits that just need a little more help to get them past their previous goals revenue wise.

#24 ·
News flash! The franchise model does not work in the lawn service business. If it did you would see a lot more brands out there. Unless you have significant financial resources and a high net worth no franchise will even waste their time with you.
Posted via Mobile Device
i agree - ive cut for 17 years - been a vocal and friendly contractor for the last 8 years - my 'number one' friend/driver/team leader decided $15 an hour was not enough money - so he quit...and started knocking on my accounts doors to start his own lawn care - his goal was to take 30 of my accounts...he got 3.

lawn service is very personal and no two lawns the same - this business is too personal - my clients LIKE me and the 3 that didnt know me went with Manuel.

i have combinations to peoples back yards - their garages and sometimes their front doors - they know and trust me....not my business name or affiliation.

my clients DO NOT want just any face mowing...they want the same face mowing.

i dont see how i can be franchised - and those clients that just pick up a phone and call on a generic lawn service - a franchise - are also the ones you lose to a $5 decrease in hourly rate.

i like the clients that give me christmas money and ask how my kids are doing - again...you cannot franchise me - or rent me out - or copy me.

im in texas - there are a lot of hispanic lawn service owner/operators - they force the hourly rate down around here - we all use the same equipment and buy from the same dealers - what sells me the most...is me.

comb your hair - keep facial tattoos to a minimum - sound educated - and be punctual - thats what youre selling.

for the most part...any strong back and weak mind can push a mower. what sets you apart from the competition is YOU.

i am...W.A.Reid...for all of your landscape needs.

#25 ·
i agree - ive cut for 17 years - been a vocal and friendly contractor for the last 8 years - my 'number one' friend/driver/team leader decided $15 an hour was not enough money - so he quit...and started knocking on my accounts doors to start his own lawn care - his goal was to take 30 of my accounts...he got 3.

lawn service is very personal and no two lawns the same - this business is too personal - my clients LIKE me and the 3 that didnt know me went with Manuel.

i have combinations to peoples back yards - their garages and sometimes their front doors - they know and trust me....not my business name or affiliation.

my clients DO NOT want just any face mowing...they want the same face mowing.

i dont see how i can be franchised - and those clients that just pick up a phone and call on a generic lawn service - a franchise - are also the ones you lose to a $5 decrease in hourly rate.

i like the clients that give me christmas money and ask how my kids are doing - again...you cannot franchise me - or rent me out - or copy me.

im in texas - there are a lot of hispanic lawn service owner/operators - they force the hourly rate down around here - we all use the same equipment and buy from the same dealers - what sells me the most...is me.

comb your hair - keep facial tattoos to a minimum - sound educated - and be punctual - thats what youre selling.

for the most part...any strong back and weak mind can push a mower. what sets you apart from the competition is YOU.

i am...W.A.Reid...for all of your landscape needs.
Couldn't have said it better myself. I'm in the EXACT situation. A lot of competition but a smile, handshake, and brief friendly conversation every visit goes a LONG way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.