US Lawns

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Yankee, Dec 15, 2003.

1. Yankee

Yankee LawnSite Member

Looking for information regarding US Lawns franchises - pros or cons. I want to change careers and am currently evaluating whether I should start out completely on my own or start with a franchise. The 30K franchise fee is not an issue for me.

I have also heard and read in newspaper articles about owners growing their revenue to 500K - 1M in only a year or 2.

Any info or feeback regarding US Lawns would be appreciated.

2. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

I would say if you are going to put a lot of effort into this business, do it on your own, and reap all the rewards.
    As far as the $500,000 to 1 mil in a year or two, it is not impossible, but highly highly unlikely.
    You should not expect too much, and you will not be disappointed. They business will give back as much as you put into it, that is the rule I use. Not in regards to money, but in regards to your knowledge, dedication, work ethic, and perseverance. If you truly want something in life, nothing can stop you from getting or acheiving it. It is definitely not easy, but if you truly (key word here) want it, you can get it.

Good luck with the venture!

3. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

I had US Lawns take over some of my accounts last year at a lower price than i was charging. Then when they started doing the work the overall look of these went down. From what i have i'm been told i might get these account back.

4. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Yankee,

Here is a quote from this post. Maybe you could contact the author of it to get more information.

"i have not gone into alot of detail about the specifics but i think the main deal was lead generation...he only deals with commercial accounts---zero residential...for example he does all of the banks for say 1st tenn, union planters, etc--all in his region...he was already very detailed and well organized and with the addition of a us lawns franchise it just added more to his bottom line...i believe the fee was 30k and the royalties are pretty cheap if i remember correctly...i think he took the 60+ residential's and just spun them of to his father in law which he was in with before they started the franchise..."

5. Tony Clifton

Tony Clifton LawnSite Senior Member

hey Yankee, if you are planning on starting the biz where you are, in NY I would go with the franchise. This is especially true if there is not a Valley Crest branch around you. US Lawns has a tremendous amount of support and knowledge backing it, and the systems are great too. Another benefit is that you can get in on National contracts such as for Banks, Malls etc. One of the reasons companies like US Lawns, Brickman etc. come in low on the bids they do is because they run so efficiently, and also get National Account pricing on their equipment, and materials.I have been lucky enough to buy my equipment on Nat. Acct. pricing this year, and it has saved me thousands. As I said before, I would go for the franchise if I were you, especially if you are new to the green industry. I know I ran into a US Lawns Franchise owner last year and he was a former fast food chain owner. If you have anymore questions I will try to help,,,keep in touch and let me know what you are thinking, I am always looking for great people to network with. One more thing, if you are in a large market, and have the capital I dont see why it wouldnt be possible to reach 500,000 in sales your first year.

6. Mark B

Mark B LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Tony check your PM again.