1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

US Maintenance, Norristown PA

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SOMM, Mar 31, 2005.

1. SOMM

SOMM LawnSite Senior Member

Got a call from them last week. They offered to send their specs by fax to us, for a couple of local motel locations of a national franchise they just took over contractor-management for. They said they were putting the grounds maintenance "out to bid for the first year", this year (ooooo! let's get in on the ground floor!!).

After receiving their fax, and already knowing these locations, we called them right back to ask them: "to who's benefit was the discount reflected in their 50%-deficient numbers ? ". We verified that they wanted pruning, bed-edging and mulch, lawn, tree & shrub fertilizations, irrigation system maintenance, chemical applications and weekly mowings for one insultingly-low monthly price that was a full 50% less than any other comparably equipped, licensed and insured company's overhead would be able to absorb.

Amusing to know there are still a few of these "big management tycoons" who think they can actually rule the world by the seat of their pants like this!
  2. Nw. Shadesofgreen

Nw. Shadesofgreen LawnSite Member

I bid on some work for them when I was a manager at another local company.
    If I remember they wanted something for nothing.
    You had to talk to your assigned rep that had your area.
    Trugreen would be their best option to save money.

I would not waste any more of your time.

just my two cents.

Good luck

3. SOMM

SOMM LawnSite Senior Member

The invoicing was an insult: submit by the 30th-31st - don't get paid by the next 30th-31st- but AFTER the next month's first week. This wasn't even HUD which pays when they feel like it 3 months later, but a FOR PROFIT motel chain! US Maintenance also dba Tower Cleaning Inc.
    We feel sorry for their maids.
  4. Mowmoregrass

Mowmoregrass LawnSite Member

RUN, RUN as fast as you can.
  5. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

They'll have that contract filled before you get done reading this thread. There's plenty of idiots in this industry to take the work and keep companies like them thriving.
  6. Ground Effects NH

Ground Effects NH LawnSite Senior Member

OH ! your so right, they call ever year(local rite-aid) for Maintenance and Plowing tell them no thanks. See some poor kid with dads rider doing parking lot islands (maybe 30" wide and the sound of mower blades and granite ;) . Cleaning parking lot with push broom and wheel barrel. Most of the Guy's know that it's VERY HARD to collect payment. Local guy was telling me that he is still owed on plowing. said each plow he has to report to the manager to acknowledge that he plowed. And if his dates don't match yours NO PAYMENT !