1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

US Post Office

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tahoe1889, Feb 24, 2007.

1. Tahoe1889

Tahoe1889 LawnSite Member

Anyone cut for the Government? US Post Office. How do you like it. How do they Pay. I'm about to start this season.
  2. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

I do. They pay like everyone else sometimes fast sometimes slow but you always get the money.I also snowplow them and they will pay up front if I wanted it, but I think if it's under a certain amount.
  3. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I do a small Post Office, year round service. All Post Offices have a budget, its getting tighter every year. The Postal Service contracts out their accounts payable every year to the "lowest" bidder. Every year there is a screw up for a few months. Most of the problem of getting paid on time depends on how fast the Post Master is at forwarding your invoice to the next level. For me, there are 3 levels that receive my invoice for an OK before going to accounts payable.
  4. ATVracer

ATVracer LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

I am a manager there. We can pay invoices locally if you take a credit card. If not we are supposed to send it off to be paid which takes about 3 weeks or so, but not everyone plays by the rules.
  5. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Our local post office seems to mow the place themselves. I normally see a guy out there on a crapped out walmart rider or pushing an old push mower around some of the tight spots. It always looks like crap.
  6. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

We do several. They pay us the same day an invoice is dropped off with a Postal Money Order.
  7. Mowman16

Mowman16 LawnSite Senior Member

How do you get one? just put in a bid? Probably should just ask them.:D
  8. Tahoe1889

Tahoe1889 LawnSite Member

I was sent an Email invitation to Bid. They do some kind of reverse auction bidding online.
  9. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

They called us.
  10. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

We did our areas largest post office for a couple of years. Pro is you always get paid on time (for us it was the end of the month), it's a 12 month contract and for 5 1/2 months you just keep weeds pulled and parking lot blowed off. Cons they didn't want to pay much but wanted a lot of crap done (ours had two drainage ponds that were loaded w/ snakes mainly water mocs., but it was a pain to tri around and if it was dried out then they wanted you to weed the bottom but not pay for it) Lots and Lots of TRASH. Could only mow late afternoons due to traffic during the day.
    Maybe if yours is a small office then it could be good but after 2 years we decided that we didn't want to resign. Of course they couldn't understand why, seeing we did such a good job. Now we create our own contracts and let the customer sign.