USA Striping mowing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bennett scape, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Bennett scape

Bennett scape LawnSite Member

Hello all I am a Horticultural trained English gardener with a degree and have worked in the industry for 8 years. Any way that does not matter what matters is that i am from the USA who spent some time overseas and was wandering if striping the lawn here is as big as it is in the UK. Because I am going to start a garden maintenance and lawn care business in Memphis TN catering toward high end homes and estates. I see a desperate need here for highly trained personnel. Anyway just was wondering if anyone knows about or is doing formal striping and formal maintenance on lawns and gardens any comments and suggestions welcome thank you. :)

PS I was considring a Scag Tiger Cub 48" with a Kawasaki 19hp twin with a striping and mulch plate if anyone has one let me know how it works for you thanks for all the help :)

2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I think and I'm guessing that most of the grass in Memphis is a Southern variety which doesn't stripe as well as fescues, bluegrass, etc. It is probably cut fairly low. As you know striping is usually done at 3.5" give to take sometimes even taller to get a defined stripe. We have at least one member that went from Scag to Walker in Memphis for the high end jobs. I am no expert on the lawns there but there are several members that are doing well in that area. Maybe they will share some info, even though you will be the competition. Love Memphis but I don't know that much about the lawn care there. Make sure to hit all the BB rib joints and Beal Street for some music. I'm not the best source of information so just give it some time and some guys from that area should chime in.