Use/Don't Use Striping kits ??????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnGuy73, Apr 6, 2003.

1. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey I got a ? Ive been mowing commerical properties now for a little over five years, this year I really want to stripe them all out, so my question is how many of you guys use striping kits? Also did you make them yourself or buy the factory ones? Some pics would be great, thanx guys..

2. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

Here is the kit I made for my mower at home this winter. I used it twice so far this spring, and it stripes excellent!

stripekit.jpg

3. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the roller for my eXmark that's made by York sheetmetal. $300 plus

4. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I did'nt have a chouce, when I bought my Cub, its standard equipment, lucky for me.:p

5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

yup same with me..it comes standard with all of my mowers..of course except the 21's

6. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Yes/Flap/Homemade on a 52" Scag which already stripes good by itself (w/b). It does good (see pic).

IMHO A striping attachment is useless on a 21" because 21" stripes do not look good [to me] and they add alot of drag which either makes it harder to push or makes it harder on the transmission.

Scag stripes with flap:

apr03196.jpg

7. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

another

apr03195.jpg

8. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

Eric,
    I see the trees are starting to green up in your area. How far down are you from the north end of Iowa?

9. Buckeye1

Buckeye1 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I made mine similar to rvsuper’s and others I have seen on LS. I made it so the chain bar will pivot up if it ever hits the ground (coming down off embankments, etc.)

It works OK but IMO, chain or flap stripe kits can’t really compare to rollers for laying grass down.

mvc-008f.jpg

10. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

buckeye.. do you ever run over the chains when you go backwards????