Use doubles for first time, SWEEEEET

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lasher66, May 4, 2002.

1. lasher66

lasher66 LawnSite Senior Member

I hear some mixed opinions about doubles but I just cut my lawn to do a test run on them and they kicked butt. My lawn was pretty long and soaked from the morning dew. I shreds the grass up beautifully , and no clumps. I have a 52" Bunton. I put high rise on the bottom and gators on top. I wish I new to do this 3 years ago, it wouldve saved me from double cutting a lot of lawns. Im sure I will still have to double cut some , but not as many any more. I noticed with doubles on, they blow out a lot more air and sucks up just about every stick on the lawn. I guess that is good because hopefully that means the grass is standing up straighter for a good cut. Thanks for the idea everyone. I have to go try them on my cusomers lawns now. Later

Lasher66

2. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

And how many spindles do you think you will go through in a season ? I think when they make those spindles they dont make them for swinging 2 blades.....if so they would tell you that you can.

3. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

how did you get the blades ballanced?i would think if you cross them they would hafta be square x if not they would vibrate?

4. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

If you like the double now, wait till you can mow and blow the leaves at the same time, when the fall comes. :p
    As far as spindle problems, as long as you balance the balance the blades correct (precision) you won't hurt the spindles. In fact technically, you may actually have them last longer. The reason for this is any "two bladed part" that spins is inherently more unstable than a four bladed part. As in a helicopter, each set(two) of blades acts like a stablizer for the other set. As the one set vibrates from lift, the other set trys to keep the blade level and not allow it to twist.
    Pete

5. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

I was thinking of more along the line of stress on the spindles.

6. lasher66

lasher66 LawnSite Senior Member

Well I just got back from cutting 8 lawns today and i didnt notice any vibrating or anything out of the ordinary. I guess I will just use them for the spring time and then take them off when the grass slows down. Why are so many people saying this is a great idea then when I do it poeple start to reply with bad comments. Oh well.

Lasher66

7. Craig Turf Management

Craig Turf Management LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't be as concerned about the spindles, as I would the clutch and belts. I tried them back in the fall, and noticed a big power loss from my 17 hp Kawi. Doubles are okay for some of you guys, but I'm really worried about the wear and tear on my equipment.
    Bill Craig!

8. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

lasher66 them there doubles are nice huh youll be hooked now,ive been running them now for 3yrs and will never go back to singles, I really don't think they will put any stress on your spindels i run them on a 9yr yr old snapper 52 walkbehind and i change spindels for the first time late last winter,i bet they still would have lasted another season just had a little play so i changed them out. I run them on a new scag i bought this yr and the stripe is as good as ive seen, happy cutting...Marks Mowing Service

9. ceaman

ceaman LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Im not worried about the spindles..

If the blades are ballanced it doesnt matter if they are in a perfect 90 degree X or not.

I thihk that the doubles are great but I have pulled so much thatch up out of the yards with them I am going to have to bag the yards now to clean them up.

10. strickdad

strickdad LawnSite Senior Member

we run em on everything, no spindle or bearing problems.. also no real power loss either..