Use dump trailer for mowing equipment ??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fastlane, May 11, 2002.

1. fastlane

fastlane LawnSite Senior Member

today I spent 10 hrs triming overgrown hedges 3hrs to load and 2 1/2hrs to unload trailer.102x18' Thinking of getting 102x14' dual gate dumptrailer. I mow 3days a week use other 2 days for cleanups small landscape jobs. Are there problems loading equipment? Mower decks bottoming out, ramps to steep etc.? I have buyer for landscape trailer now,but would use dumptrailer till Aug. then lawn equipment goes in enclosed trailer. (ordered today).

2. TFL

TFL LawnSite Member

diamond c or fleet neck located in Mt Pleasant but seel nationwide. they make a 14' gooseneck or bumper pull landscape dump. it is a heck of a trailer. has a doudle action rear gate solid steel floor and side gate. i know the gooseneck has a rugby hydrailic system. and a huge tool box up front. here is a picture of both

http://www.diamondctrailers.com/trailers/new/index.htm

the 45ls and the 45lsgn. nice trailers but cost around 5 to 6 thousand for the gooseneck. don't know how much if they have to ship.

3. ScotLawn

ScotLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Most dump trailers i have seen have a floor that is at least 36" off the ground. To me you would need one heck of a ramp that would be real long, ie at least 6 feet or longer, to get a mower up on it without bottoming it out bad.

It sounds like you need a dump bad, but I don't know if i would use one to haul my equipment in. think about a dump bed insert for your truck. Should be cheaper than a trailer, unless you need to buy a bigger truck to hold the weight of the bed and load in it.

Scot

4. BO-TY

BO-TY LawnSite Member

I have the same problem a lot of time & hard work getting the stuff off. I need 18' of floor space to haul two hoppers with catchers on & have not seen any dump trailers that long. an lco i know of in a nearby town uses a billygoat tailgate loader on the back of a small dump trk. dumps the stuff on the ground out of hi s hoppers them sucks it up in the trk. more inv. but less shovel work. I am still not sure what way to go.

5. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

Wow, I want one of those Diamond C trailers. That looks like excatly what I need for my service . I wish someone around my area makes something like that .

6. lamblawnscaping

lamblawnscaping LawnSite Member

Does anyone know what one of those diamond c trailers sells for?

7. TFL

TFL LawnSite Member

i helped build one in an ag mechanics class with diamond c's help. i think the trailer sold around 2 to three thousand my earlier estimate was wrong. they are definatly show stoppers took first in its division at houston livestock show. the purple gooseneck one is the one i helped build. i will check to see for sure on the price i drive by their plant everyday.