1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Use Gator Blades & High Lift Together??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ltw77, Dec 12, 2006.

1. ltw77

ltw77 LawnSite Member

I have heard some people suggest when doing leaf removel to combine both types of blades. The setup would be for a 3 blade mower. Use two gator blades and use a high lift blade closest to the bagger. The idea being more lift at the bagger than grinding up of the leaves, resulting in less left on the ground either for another pass or to be blown off the lawn. I may have missed a thread on this previously but didn't see any in a search, any thoughts or suggestions would be great?!
  2. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

A friend of mine suggesting putting a complete extra set of blades on the mower. He said that a golf superintendant he worked for would have them put an extra gator blade on each shaft (forming a "x"). He said that the extra blades would chop the daylights out of leaves. They would have to adjust for height, but he said that it typically pulverized them. Haven't tried it myself, but would be curious to see how it works.
  3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Old news.

People have been doing this for years.

Make sure you have the HP to do it, and be cautious.
  4. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Couldn't you just use 2 sets of Gator blades instead of the high-lift blades?
  5. Hard Worker

Hard Worker LawnSite Member

Put the high lifts on the bottom and gators on top. Works like a charm, turns the leaves to dust after a couple of passes especially if you have a chute blocker.
  6. ltw77

ltw77 LawnSite Member

I have heard of using both together on the same spindle but thats not exactly what I meant. The desired result was to only make one pass until the bagger is full and not have to make another one. I had heard that having one high lift blade closest to the bagger would help with p/u and throw the leaves up into the bagger. This setup would be w/ the Q36 Samurai and using 2 gator blades on the other spindles(1 per spindle) for a total of only 3 blades @ a time. I may be asking a little much but just curious what options work better than others. I suppose there is no substitute for real world testing(in other words "try it yourself").
  7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

While I don't know much about the Samurai, the use of a high lift on the discharge spindle is also nothing new.

Should work just fine.
  8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I've used various combos over the years. It's not likely you'll find something that'll get all the leaves on one pass. Why don't you want to make more than one pass.