1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Use GPS to figure Square Foot???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tinkerer, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Tinkerer

Tinkerer LawnSite Senior Member

I know they are getting more accurate. But have any of you figured a lawns SF using a GPS reciever? I have heard the more $ they cost, the more accurate they are.
  2. greendave

greendave LawnSite Member

Not that accurate. Get the wheel out and walk it...........
  3. derbydon

derbydon LawnSite Member

Try going to Microsoft terraserver instead and lookup an aerial photo of the property, including a scale for calculating area. It's not exact, but I've used it for commercial quotes and it works well. Plus, I print a pic for my quote presentation and customers seem to be impressed that I take the time to accurately assess their property.

In some metropolitan areas, the local government will have already superimposed their plat book on the aerial info. :cool:
  4. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I know this doesn't pertain to lawn care much but do you think a day will come that the mower will mow straight lines (large properties) and all you as the operator will need to do will turn the machine around.

I have been a tractor, John Deere, that did that. Great feature, but a little concerning cuz you just sit there until you get to the end rows. Pretty Cool though!
  5. Hamons

Hamons LawnSite Senior Member

I use GPS to measure all my properties. I double checked witha wheel for a long time. The only time they were off was when i made a math error -- Get one with waas correction and area calculation -- unjder $100 on ebay.
  6. Markf

Markf LawnSite Senior Member

I have not heard of Microsoft teraserver. Is this software? Is something I buy in the store or can I download it? Thx.
  7. LawnsByJon

LawnsByJon LawnSite Member

I actually posted a topic about GPS and it's applications in lawn care a couple days ago.

First of all, it doesn't matter how much you spend. Accuracy is pretty much the same between a $90 and a $500 unit.

The two major brands are Garmin and Magellan. Both make units that start in $100 range, but both have trade-offs.

The Garmins generally have a bit more usability with extra features, but generally the magellans are more likely to work in more locations and areas.

They're very accurate when used correctly, but if it's the only reason you want one, you're better off sticking to a measuring wheel, because you basically get the same results.
  8. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

I use a Garmin 60CS to do mine. It is as accurate as a wheel and much easier. No calculations, use the area calculater and skin it!

I paid $425 for mine but I use it for much more than business.

9. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Now Im just a simple ole country boy. You still have to walk the boundaries no matter which you use(measuring wheel or GPS) correct? I quess the the GPS would be alot easier to figure on a property that is not square, has differnt length ends and sides? would that be the advantage of the GPS?
  10. eng50

eng50 LawnSite Member

Our county has GIS maps of all properties, including aerial photos and property measurements, if you got a lot of properties together and go to the county admin bldg, you could sit in front of a computer and do all the math. Then again, easy doesnt mean its the best, ie. sheds, playsets etc placed without thier knowledge! Go walk it, you need to see it all anyway, the GPS could be off a little, but if you rough measure and adjust up cost basis, you will come out ahead anyway. Just another thought..