Use Gravely 48" WB to plow snow?? Is this crazy?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lithnights, Sep 15, 2007.

1. lithnights

lithnights LawnSite Member

First off, I realize I will probably get grilled for even thinking of this, but I'll take my chances! :laugh:

I have a Gravely 48" WB. I am on a corner lot and after years of shoveling, I was going to buy a snowblower. Before I do so, I need to know.... is there any way to to configure a plow device to hook onto the front of the mower so that it could work as a plow? I know tractors are meant for this but with 15 HP, I thought maybe somehow my WB could be configured to push some snow. I know you all are pretty resourceful with your mowers, but I know I may be pushing the envelope here..

I know even if it could be done, I may have issues with my mower running if it is snowing (since it is belt driven). I did at least think of that.

For those laughing, just humor me and reply back so I know for sure this won't work. :hammerhead: Then I'll be off to get that snowblower.

2. copeblk

copeblk LawnSite Member

Here's what you do... go buy a new snow blower, disasemble and mount the blower to the mower:clapping: Then attach the mower deck to the new blower..... should be intersting... You could probably get it to push "some" but you will have less headaces by doing the right thing and get a snowblower. If you don't we need to see pics of your piles this winter:hammerhead:
  3. CrewKut

CrewKut LawnSite Member

I have a snowblower attachment for my exmark made by RAD Technologies, they also make other attachments. Here is the link:

I didn't see your Gravely listed, but they might be able to be adapted. I bought this setup this summer and have not used it yet. I am also on a corner lot with a large driveway and I am looking forward to trying it out. I did a search on google about the unit, from what I read, the guys that have them love them.

I'm sure there are other companies out there that have what you are looking for.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Not sure but I've done it with a 4-wheeler, they make a manually operated small grading shovel for those, they're only like 4 feet wide and still heavy enough to give your arms a workout (you have to lift and drop that blade frequently, by hand, with a lever).

But it does work, all of 2 hours for a smaller sized 15-20 or so car spaces parking lot (which would have took at least all day by hand).
    It has enough power, it's weight that is a problem, the tires get to spinning if the pile gets too high, so you have to work with that and do small sections at a time, don't get into pushing too much at once. Oh yeah, it was 4wd thou. Took several hours to mount that grader, after we did it once we left the grader on there year round :laugh:

Only thing is because of its light weight the grader doesn't get all the way down to the dirt or pavement, still it's a lot better and you can get in and out with cars. That and it was a full size 4-wheeler, forget the brand but it wasn't no nimble sports model but rather the beefy kind, what I call a full size 4-wheeler, if that makes sense.

Might work with a Wb, just not sure how you'd lift and drop the grader, it would take some finagling with the mounting hardware.
  5. mojob

mojob LawnSite Senior Member

You won't have enough traction.
  6. IHusky

IHusky LawnSite Senior Member

Do your research on snow blower, buy it and be done with it.
  7. lithnights

Thanks all. I have started researching snowblowers.. :)

With all the cool creativity I've seen on this site, I figured my idea was worth a shot.. oh well!
  8. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

Just buy an older 2 wheel Gravely. Then you can snowplow, snow blow, mow, plow, till, plant, cut wood, cultivate, and haul the kitchen sink.:usflag:
  9. lithnights

If I had only know that before shelling out the money this past spring for my new 48" Gravely WB! :laugh:
  10. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

Oh, don't worry, you're not missing a thing.

I bought 2 old gravely units 4 years ago... they do break down a lot as they're getting older, the drive unit, the plates in the wheels etc...all worn out, heavy, hard to turn etc... no disrespect to gravely, good units but the older ones....:cry: don't even think about it.

I lost thousands selling them in the auction and had to eat crow from people around me for months...they thought I was stupid for even buying them.

Like topsites said, it's a homeowner setup at the very best. The plows we use, we have them on diesel John Deere front mount 4x4 machines. That is a pro setup... real grunt workers. Good for sidewalks.

For parking lots, can't beat a JD skidsteer.