1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Use "Marine" to get new customers?

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by rodneyamolt, Oct 5, 2007.

Use "Marines" to pull customers?

Poll closed Oct 15, 2007.
  1. Yes

7 vote(s)
  2. No

21 vote(s)
  3. Maybe

2 vote(s)
  1. rodneyamolt

rodneyamolt LawnSite Member

I am getting of the Marine Corps and starting up a lawn care business while I finish school. Think I should use Marines on my adverting saying something like...

"If you want it done right the first time, you call the Marines!! Knowing the Marines are taking care of your yard makes a person proud, I assure you!!"

Yes or No?
  2. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't take this wrong, but I think it sounds too cheesy. You could use the fact that you were in the Marines to your advantage when you're talking to the client and let them know that you understand how important detail is, and you are only satisfied when the cust is satisfied. Use what you learned in the Marines to your advantage in selling your business.
  3. rodneyamolt

rodneyamolt LawnSite Member

Exactly.. I'm with you.. I have just been told by a few people to try it and see what comes of it.
  4. J&T Kiev

J&T Kiev LawnSite Senior Member
    from N.W In.

Rodney..best of luck to you in your business start up. I to went into landscaping lawn care after being in the Army. I was in 20 and retired, going in to busines was a way for me to get a 800 lb task off my wife's back..the tag Army wife lol.
    I don't advertise I was a career soldier, but at every strategic opportunity, I'll let a customer or possible customer know about my military background.

good luck, Semper Fi Marine !!
  5. fox9988

fox9988 LawnSite Member

Semper Fi Rodney......Most people just can't relate..so use it as an advantage when applicable...but don't throw it out there,you may spook 'em off:usflag:
  6. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Sure.... but word it MUCH differently mabey even selectively, their is a Boston based company called Bacement Technolgies that mention a former Marine as a general manager in their advertiseing.
  7. treedoc1

treedoc1 LawnSite Senior Member

There is one in Lexington, KY and one in Cleveland Oh

Why can't there be one in your town:usflag:
  8. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

thats cool
  9. McFarland_Lawn_Care

McFarland_Lawn_Care LawnSite Bronze Member

RA!! Semper Fi.....
  10. ExecutiveLawns

ExecutiveLawns LawnSite Member

I just got out in feb and use it. every one of my customers knows Im a Marine (once a Marine always a Marine) I find it as a great conversation starter and once they find out i served our country and fought in Iraq twice then the deal is sealed and the contract is signed. they always want to hear what i think of the war and i tell them exactly how i feel and even if they dont agree with me 100% about it they still hire me because they know i was out there getting shot at watching my buddies getting killed for their freedom and they appreciate every bit of it. Also use the fact that your a Marine and a business owner to an advantage and sponsor you platoon when they go to Iraq. thats what im doing i send them like $200 worth of junk they ask for every month. its a way for me to help them out with they stuff they dont want to ask their parent or strangers for and at the same time it shows those officers and staff ncos and above that Im making something of myself out of the Corps. They kept trying to tell me when i was getting out that at 24 and a Sgt in just over 3 years that i should stay in and i could go far and i kept telling them that i would go further outside the Corps. dont get me wrong i loved what i did in but love it better now that im out. Im getting off course but use the fact that you a vet. on my business cards it states at the bottom Veteran Owned and Operated. That way when i drop a card off anywhere and some one reads that part it gives you the one up.