1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Use of blower trucks

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by askarvelis, Jan 5, 2005.

1. askarvelis

askarvelis LawnSite Member

I recently this year used a local company to blow mulch, topsoil etc.
    They blew 40 yds of mulch in 3 hrs! Any comment on this compared to laborers and money made?
  2. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

We have a blower truck and it is a huge money maker while it's in use. The fact is, unless you can keep this machine running 40 hrs/wk. it's not worth it. we bought ours used and it is an awesome machine, but you need the right types of jobs to do a good job and turn a profit. Ours is for sale if your interested.

3. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I used a local company for the first time last July. I was jammed with work at the time, so I subbed the job. It was about 50 yards, and would have been difficult due to having to go down stairs with the wheelbarrows. The end result was great, and the client was very impressed. I plan on using them again. It was nice to put some money in my pocket just for making a few phone calls!
  4. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

we have a finn unit and keep it very busy. in fact, if anybody here is looking to sub some large installs we will go into NY, RI, Mass and CT. we did over 5000 yards this year with our unit. shoot me and email if you may need some mulch blown.

5. snap12.5

snap12.5 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

for everyone that has recently bought a blower truck, do u still charge the same price per yard as u did when doing the shovel and wheel barrow thing?
  6. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

what do you guys charge per yard to blow mulch in and are their areas that you can't get into. I do a job that is 25 yards every year and I hate it what would that run me$.
  7. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

We don't change our prices to blow. I charge $60/yd and that includes edging.

8. askarvelis

askarvelis LawnSite Member

I appreciate you guys responses! I think I come out ahead by noy having to hire extra help, taxes, no shows. I really want to buy my own bulk mulch and a tractor to load and carry, but that still requires me to buy a dump truck to carry large amounts of mulch.