Use of starting fluid on small engines

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by fixer67, Aug 26, 2007.

1. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

I see on here time and time again about using starting fluid on mower engine. DO NOT DO THAT. I have seen spark plugs blown right out of the head, mufflers blown off and even carbs blown out. Starting fluid has way too much kick for a small engine. And you will turn any engine into a "dope addict" by using starting fluid. You can take a brand new engine right out of the box and start using starting fluid on it and soon the engine will become addicted to it and will not start not matter what unless you use it.

By the way I know my self for a fact of two people that got "shot" from using starting fluid. One used it on a chain saw and the spark plug blew out and went into his shoulder. The other one used it on a push mower. He got shot in the leg. Both had to go to the hospital.
    I would have love to have seen the X-ray techs face when he seen those X-rays.:confused:
  2. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

I've seen a guy spray nearly half a can into a Kubota diesel, I walked away laughing after he twisted the crank and had one of the pistons come out the side of the case. You should NEVER use starting fluid to start a diesel ! Then there are the guys that use it to mount those big balloon tires to the rim :dizzy: Oh well, we all have to learn from our mistakes, thou it's better to learn from others :rolleyes:
    ericg likes this.
  3. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

I have worked on diesel tractors with starting fluid can adapters on it from the factory. Everything in moderation.
  4. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

While we are on this topic another no:nono:no is using carb spray to start 2 cycle engines :hammerhead: The carb spray does not have the lubrication properties needed and the unit will start but it will be running lean(no oil)

Have had more then a few in the shop that the customers have said "well it runs when I spray it with carb spray"
  5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Fixer, I guess you know your giving would be robbers an idea for a new weapon......

Years ago when in the auto biz I had a customer with a Chevy blazer (diesel) the glow plugs went out in. He busted four starter nose cones and snapped the bolts off in the block twice.

He had a half dozen cans of starting fluid thrown in the passenger floor area.

With the tow and repair cost of two starter repairs he could have had the glow plugs repaired but kept
    declining. :dizzy:
  6. fixer67

Now there is an idea. Modify your potato cannon to shot spark plug. I guess that is one way to recycle them.
  7. fixer67

On a diesel tractor yes but I have not see one on a B&S 3.5HP mower engine yet. Spray half a can in one of them and you have a bomb.
    Moderation is a word that seems not to be in most peoples vocabulary.
  8. khouse

Maybe we can adapt the tractor primer onto the Briggs!!! :hammerhead:
  9. Ironic

Ironic LawnSite Senior Member

the only time I use it, is to test something out in the field. if it starts with a quick shot of ether, then has spark and no fuel. gives me quick idea of where to start my search.
    I would never use it as a way to start it every time.
    and to mount very large tires like on a semi or does work. but it racks my nerves every time.
  10. khouse

I too have used it to bead some tough tires. Some new tires I get are just about smashed flat. I quick shot of fluid and BAMB it's on. Kind of like a rubber tire potato gun!