Use PG Magnum problem with left shoulder

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by LawnDFortCollins, Nov 20, 2007.

1. LawnDFortCollins

LawnDFortCollins LawnSite Member

Hi, Long time reader first time poster. I am a commercial sprayer and I use the PG magnum. I put about 300 hour per season on it. I have started to notice problems with my left shoulder. I know another sprayer that uses the same machine just more hours and he had to have surgery on his left shoulder. Just seeing if anyone out there is having the some problem.

Thanks

2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I have used the Magnum the last 3 seasons with no shoulder problems. I would guess your shoulder problems stem from making turns, the thing turns like a tank!!! I started going in a counter clockwise circular pattern a couple years ago, that made a huge difference and might solve your problem.

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I think it's just a fluke thing. I can't see how the left shoulder can be affected anymore than the right. I know I happen to have a torn rotator cuff (I believe), but that has nothing to do with spraying/riding.

4. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Ditto with the above two buds of mine. Operating ride-on units sounds easy, but it's not. Not only does it take a lot of concentration, but athleticism is needed too. Basically, you're talking "fatigue factor" >>> an independent company compared ____ and ____ vs a new ride-on unit that will be available shortly. I cannot go into details, but....
    We use the heck out of our PG units cuz they make us a whole lot of money. Good company support too.

5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I use a Permagreen Ultra about 200 hours per year. I usually operate with the handles down. In June I hit a gopher hole during a sharp downhill turn. Caused a "tennis elbow" type injury. Probably due to bending the wrist back. Doctor called it lateral eipcondylitus, or something like that. Occasional pain just below the elbow. I may have made it a little worse, because I kept working.

My shoulder is fine. As mentioned above, probably the square spiral pattern is easier on your body. 90 degree turns --not 180. With the handles down you probably have more leverage--so the turns are easier. On smooth ground I can turn with one hand. Have you greased it lately? Tires inflated properly? Carrying exess weight, in the hopper? You have to squeeze both handles when spraying. There is no hand left to operate the spray valves. Are the cables lubed so they work easy?

Actually, I wish the handle grips were much bigger and soft so they could absorb some of the shock when you hit a bump. Reduce the bump shocks somehow.

Also I wish the handlebars were slanted down, angled like on a walk-behind mower. Any welding shop could do it, I am sure.

6. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Hi Riggle -- my main PG Ultra operator (M----) isn't here to post, but he also uses the handles folded down most of the time. I asked him why -- he said cuz it's easier to maneuver. I'm 6'3", but he's young, short & athletic > probably makes a difference. We buy bicycle handle bar grips at WalMart and install them on our PG's as well as our LESCO push spreaders -- nice improvement with handling. We also slide on a section of 3/8 inch spray hose on our PG throttle handles.

We put two gallons of RV antifreeze in each front tire too. Seems that one gallon isn't enough for optimum stability.

We routinely spray lube in the cables, cuz they corrode fast -- especially the deflector shield cable. I won't even get into the many thin wires that corrode frequently, cuz we "changed ours around". We tweaked our two Ultras in so many ways so they now spread & spray better than any Magnum we demo'd.

Nuther subject = the battery:laugh: Won't go there either.

7. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I think it would be hard to link the PG to shoulder trouble.

Anytime you do something all of the time...you are eventually going to wear.

If you were pushing a spreader day after day...your back might hurt or your legs.

People that work on computers get arthritis or corporal tunner (spelling?)

I guess what I am saying is it could be from lifting fert bags, or from something else. But it could be from the PG...but I would be surprised. I think the machine is not too hard on the body unless you are always filling the hopper to the rim and hilling!

JMO

8. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Im having left shoulder issues myself! After 29 seasons in this business, i think some sprayer pumping and other repetative motion issues have caught up with me! I dont see any connection to my ride ons?

9. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

I was sent a flyer from PG and they have upgrades for the handle grips and pads for the sulky. I threw it out or else i would send the pics.