use walk behind in clean-ups

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by srk5252, Apr 12, 2001.

1. srk5252

srk5252 LawnSite Member

Do any of you guys use your walk behinds to do yard clean ups. If so at what height do you keep your blade.
  2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i blow all the leaves and sticks off. then i use my 48 inch scag with a jrco 46 inch de thatcher on it with a grass gobbler to suck it all up. i think my blades are set at 2.5 inches.
  3. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

We use the JRCO leaf plow on our Walker and walkbehind mowers to put leaves and debri into big piles (works great!)
  4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I run it at 2.5 to 3 for leaves. It helps keep the leaves from blowing around as much.
  5. i do the blowing and raking of the lawns. and the large parts that have only a few leaves on them i just blow out the beds and go over them with my walk behind with the grass gobbler. not really cutting. blades are up around 2.5 - 3.0
  6. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

I use mine for clean ups all the time. Last fall I did about 3 acres of leaves about 6" to a foot deep. I put a 2 X 8 on the front of my deck and pushed the bulk of them into big piles then blew the rest with the mower. the only time I touched a rake was to get them out from beds and around trees. It worked great and cut my time way down.
  7. summitgroundskeeping

summitgroundskeeping LawnSite Senior Member

After I rake a lawn for a spring clean up, I go over it with my walk behind (and bagger) to get all the rtest of the dead stuff. Or, if the lawn doesn't need raking I just suck up the leaves and junk.