1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Used 331

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Mike33, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

I was by my local dealer today he had a used 331 open cab , ext. hoe, 900 hours , tracks worn has about 3-400 hours left. The price was 26,500.00 is this in line? The machine was in there rental fleet so i know it was serviced properly.
  2. Wing 97

Wing 97 LawnSite Member
    from CT

I purchased a rental 331 this past April. It was only 1 year old with less than 300 hrs, looked new, full cab, heat/AC, 24 inch bucket, and used hydralic thumb for 34,000. It is not an extend a hoe. Hope this helps.
  3. BobcatBoy06

BobcatBoy06 LawnSite Member

If you are interested in a bobcat let me know our local dealer here has a 331 and a 431 both have cabs with ac and heat I believe they are also both extend a hoe options. I think are both about 2yrs old at this point send me a PM if you are interested I can get you informaion and have them all you.
  4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Decent deal on the machine, but I'd pass. If that machine went out for 1 week, chances are it was greased once, and that's when it was in the shop. I'd keep looking, it may sound enticing, but I'd walk. When we were shopping for an excavator, we found a 304.5 with 800 hours for 34K, which would have been a good deal, except it was in the rental fleet. Even our sales guy told us it would probably be in our best interests to pass on that machine.
  5. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

If rental mini's are like the ones here I wouldn't want to buy one. One of the rental customers snapped the boom off the one excavator :laugh:

Minis are the worst for being abused most of the time your better off buying new.
  6. Mike33

Thanks everyone that was some very good information on a rental piece. i was thinking about it was maintained good of couse when it came back in it was. I wasent thinking of how people treat rentals. I did notice the tread on the tracks was wore.
  7. Shadetree Ltd

Shadetree Ltd LawnSite Senior Member

If you have a good relationship with the dealer I would consider it. They should have all maintenance records as well as any repairs that it required. A thorough inspection of both the machine and paperwork and a trusted dealer will go along way. Thats great people always push biggest, best and newest machines but crunch the numbers and see if spending the extra on new iron is a good idea, Scag's dads situation should be a lesson for many.
  8. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

Well, personally, I don't think the price is anything to write home about but it isn't terrible either. As far as the other part though, I have no problem with rental or lease return machines. They usually maintain better than the average joe. Not sure why rentals, auction equip, and grey market stuff gets such a bad rap in general and on this site. Most of my bigger equipment has come from these sources and I usually have pretty decent luck. Used is used, no matter where it comes from.
  9. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Having to re-bush and pin that machine is not cheap, you can't tell what the conditions of the bushings are without dismantling the machine. Sure there might not be any slop, yet, but at 1500 hours, the neglect will show. $24,000 isn't a steal for that machine either. I wouldn't even consider buying a rental fleet 12 ton excavator and anyone running that machine typically has a clue as the maintenance requirements for the machine. A small machine, however, can be rented out to a homeowner, or a bum landscaper, both of which couldn't care less about the maintenance. It would be worth considering if they'd give you a 6 month warranty or something along those lines. I will agree the shops do maintenance better than just about anyone else, but it's pins, bushings, and hydraulic system that's the biggest concern. As for buying new equipment, if you can afford it, do it. We've bought new since day one and with the exception of our excavation endeavour collapse that had little to do with buying new equipment, we've been alright. Granted had we bought a used 120, it would have given us a little breathing room, but probably would have sold it like we sold our 312. We would have made it with the weight of a new 312 payment had I not left for college this last fall.
  10. Mike33

The hours was 900 and the price was 26k. Like i said tread on tracks was wore and dealer said they probably had around 4-500 left. I was wondering really how you would wear tracks so bad on something not moving fast. I have never bought used before, i am a 3 time bobcat owner all new. This is why i made this thread, the feedback i got back was very good.